I Walked with a Zombie (Jacques Tourneur, USA, 1943)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

I Walked with a Zombie (Jacques Tourneur, USA, 1943)

Postby MikLosk » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:10 pm

This tasteless, stupid title conceals one of the most athmospheric and charming black&white thrillers in cinema history. Producer Val Lewton had no large budget, no time, no stars. He got the material up to the highest level, filling it with visual poetics and classical literature allusions (the film itself is actually caribbean variation on Jane Eyre). Jacques Tourneur was the most talented director of Lewton's crew. He could create suspense of only athmosphere: sinister shadows and nerving sounds turned out to be more effective than fake monsters. This picture proved that Tourneur was one of unsurpassed masters of night episodes: somnambulistic walking of Holland's wife in the garden, famous way of Betsy and Jessica through reeds and, of course, final scene on the coast of luminescent sea. Lewton, Tourneur and cinematographer J. Roy Hunt created almost absolute perfect movie in genre "poetic nightmare". 9/10
MikLosk

Re: I Walked with a Zombie (Jacques Tourneur, USA, 1943)

Postby wpqx » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:26 pm

This is certainly one of Lewton's better efforts (and I've seen damn near all of them). Agreed on Tournieur being his best director, something about the two just made them well suited. I always felt an amateurish quality watching Wise or Robson's films with him. This is actually the film vaugest in my mind however, but I do remember enjoying it, and anything is better than Ghost Ship or Curse of the Cat People.
wpqx

Return to Film Talk