Eclipse

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Eclipse

Postby madhuban » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:42 am

The following is from the japanesenewwave mailing list:

Mizoguchi. Naruse. Ozu. Imamura.

When you hear these names you immediately think the history of Japanese cinema. Well, the Criterion Collection has spawned an offspring and it's name is Eclipse. The filmmakers above are just a few of the names mentioned to be represented in short series rumored from the new and exciting company.

Officially announced over the weekend, the Eclipse branch of Criterion Collection his finally coming to fruition.

Here is how Eclipse is going to function:

Each month they will release 3 to 5 films focusing on particular director or theme
While not pristine like that of Criterion, Eclipse will release the best print available
There will be no supplement material
They plan to keep the price of each disc under $15
Release schedules and film titles have yet to be announced but it seems like first up out of the gate will be the early films of Ingmar Bergman.

Finally, the mission statement on the back cover will tentatively read as followed:

"Eclipse presents a selection of lost, forgotten, or overshadowed films in simple, affordable editions. Each series is a brief cinematheque retrospective for the adventurous home viewer."
madhuban

Re: Eclipse

Postby wpqx » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:35 pm

I am partially excited about this. I was wondering what was going on with Bergman as I've been stumbling upon vast amounts of his films released on VHS from Home Vision that have yet to appear on DVD. Getting a chance to see Summer with Monika and Secrets of Women has opened up a relatively closed section of the masters work, so it would be nice to see these get their official release. The only problem is of course the absence of special features, which makes it hardly worth upgrading from VHS. Now if Immamura and Oshima get some films that have been as of yet unavailable, then I'm all for it. Of course I'm broker than Christ, so not entirely good timing. I'll keep an eye on an official site and see what's on the horizon.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:00 am

Thanks for the info, Madhuban. I'm looking forward to their releases.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:25 am

I read the official press release, but have found no information as far as a website, release dates, etc. Hearing rumors of Malle's early documentary work is enough to convince me of the worth of this company. I've been dying to see The Silent World for years.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:31 am

Looks like the first series is devoted to early Bergman:

Crisis (1945), Port of Call (1948), Thirst (1949), To Joy (1950), and Torment (1944), which Bergman co-wrote and Alf Sjberg directed.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:07 am

Wow they weren't joking when they said early Bergman. This is fine with me as I'm yet to see any of those films.
wpqx

Postby A » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:25 pm

Read the good news a couple of days ago and I'm all for it. The important thing is that more films are available. You can always release better editions afterwards.
Criterion are as usual doing a great favor to every cineaste.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:48 am

Ever since Image Ent. took over Criterion, I've missed the consistent output from the-almost-dead Home Vision. Hopefully, this will rectify things to some degree. I don't expect much in terms of quality, but if Facets can release important films on subpar transfers, so can they.
arsaib4

Postby A » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:21 pm

I think the Eclipse series will still try to release the best possible material. There just won't be any restoration work. So I hope their DVDs will in general be much better than the poor transfers Facets is churning out too often.
A

Postby trevor826 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:41 am

The Tartan Video transfers are certainly watchable so I would think that the Eclipse copies would be to the same standard at the very least.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Next

Return to Film Talk