Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:38 pm

Swedish company Sandrew Metronome has released numerous Kaurismaki films over the last few years -- both individually and together in box sets. This particular set contains Hamlet Goes Business, I Hired a Contract Killer, Juha and La Vie de Bohme. (Needless to say, all are R2/Pal, along with being macro-protected!)

Can't go wrong with Bresson, Resnais and Godard, Trev. I picked up Black Rain in Paris, was surprised to discover that the DVD also featured English subs.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:48 pm

I have seen all the films I bought previously, had a few of them copied on video as well. I missed out last time I saw them in a sale so I was determined to get them the next time, luckily they were even cheaper than before so that was a great bargain.

Re: Black Rain, can I have the name of the distributor please, I'd love to get hold of a copy.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:57 pm

Black Rain was released by "FILMS SANS FRONTIERES." It's available HERE.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:46 pm

More came in the mail, I honestly think I got everything now, but who knows.

Il Grido
Days of Being Wild
Dead or Alive Trilogy
Contraband
The Collected Shorts of Jan Svankmajer
Sebastiane
The Blue Bird

also picked up American Psycho and Kids from best buy for less than $4 a piece.

Hopefully I can get some decent comments on the Svankmajer shorts when I watch them.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Svankmajer's latest, Lunacy, is now playing in limited release in the U.S. Hopefully I'll get to watch it soon.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Thanks for the link arsaib4, not a bad price either. Great to see the Svankmajer shorts have been released on dvd, hopefully we'll get a UK release soon.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:02 am

Quote wpqx, "The Blue Bird"

Is that the 1940's film?
or 1976's film?
or the recent Netherlands submission to Oscar 2006?
hengcs

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:32 am

None of the above, its a silent film from 1918. From what I gather its the earliest film about the fable.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:52 am

Woman of the dunes (Hiroshi Teshigahara) - BFI
Funeral Parade of Roses (Toshio Matsumoto) - Eureka MoC
Haze (Shinya Tsukamoto) - Terra
Nosferatu (F.W. Murnau) - Eureka MoC

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:40 pm

Everyone Stares
Wayne's World
Wayne's World 2
Total Recall
Beavis and Butthead do America
I am Sam (it was $5 and I still need it to cover all best actor nominees from 2001)

and all three Star Wars films bitchez, bout damn time they put out the real versions. Only downsides are that the commentary tracks are only on the shitty Lucas altered versions, and the films weren't sold as a set (therefore the feature length documentary I do not have). I'd love to get to watch them all again, but it might be several years before I have the chance.

Luckily this batch of DVD's hasn't set me back in my "to watch" pile, having seen all the films (except for I am Sam), and in some cases (Star Wars and Wayne's World) seen all of them many, many times.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk