Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:47 am

Sorry to hear about your problems with the DVD of Showgirls. You're not the only one who thinks very highly of the film, so does Jacques Rivette.

Not a big fan of Jackson's King Kong; me and A briefly discussed Peter Kern in one of these threads (I haven't seen anything by him); how was the DVD of the Zulawski film you mentioned earlier?

Postby R6dw6C » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:36 am

I already read about Jacques Rivette's sympathy for Verhoeven (and I was surprised!): "His Films are about how to survive in a world populated by assholes - and that's his philosophy"
Elfriede Jelinek too mentioned once that "Showgirls" is one of her favourite movies!

Me and A watched it (complete and uncut) yesterday and while I was very impressed (this film is really subversive and truthful imo), he didn't seem to like it very much (52/100) but we had a great discussion about it and that's also a fortune. Don't really understood why so many people consider it to be Trash...

The DVD of "The most important thing: Love" is really decent (the film itself, too - of course;-), nice quality and at least, the Trailer and the Soundtrack as a bonus. Unfortunately, there are no subtitles but an english language track (dub). I'll try to post a nice Screenshot (maybe one of Romy Schneider ) soon.

EDIT: Look what I've found - seems as there is already an english subtitled version around: The french DVD hasn't got subtitles as far as I know...

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:25 am

Consider yourself lucky to be able to share your cinematic experiences with someone your appreciates them as much as you do.

Thanks for the links. Apparently YouTube is more valuable than what I initially thought.

And no, no subtitles included on the French DVD editions.

Postby R6dw6C » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:23 pm

Quote:Consider yourself lucky to be able to share your cinematic experiences with someone your appreciates them as much as you do.

Since I've met A and Matalo Matango, I enjoy cinema more than ever. I always thought I would never meet anybody else whose view on film is comparable to mine.

Big DVD-Market again in Nuremberg - and again, beside some nice Eurocult-Stuff, I picked up some DVDs you usually don't buy (and, especially, find) in this place.
Another one from Europe's most subversive auteur Jess Franco, La Fille de Dracula / Daughter of Dracula (1972). Fortunately, the DVD includes the original french version as well as german and english subtitles.
The most sought DVDs of the market (although this was the wrong place to look for it): Anything by Douglas Sirk. A german Bootleg (...) of "Imitation of Life" (1959) took my heart to the clouds...
Another potential masterpiece by my beloved Jean Rollin, "La Nuit des traques / Night of the Hunted" (1980) which is said to be his most realistic and unpoetic film. Can't imagine what is expecting me but at least, the image quality of Encore's 2-Disc-Set from the Netherlands is probably the best, I've ever seen such a film in (of this age) and the Bonus Materials are quite fine, and so is the whole Criterion-like Package.
Speaking of Criterion, I digged out the DVD of Robert Bresson's "Mouchette" (1967) and because of the nice price (20 Euros) and my adoration for Bresson's "Balthazar", I bought it spontaneously.
An incredibly cheap (10 Euros!) and great Box-Set, including 7 Films by Eckhart Schmidt (beside Rudolf Thome, Rainer Werner Fassbinder and Klaus Lemke another member of the "Munich Group"), the icon of Germany's 80ies Cinema. The 7 (long sough after) titles: The controversial "Der Fan / Trance" (1982), "Die Story / The Story" (1984), the underrated Science-Fiction-Crime-Drama "Loft" (1985), "Alpha City" (1985), the spiritual melodrama "Das Wunder / The Miracle" (1985), the musical comedy "Wie treu ist Nik? / How true is Nik?" (1986) and his latest, rarely distributed Low-Budget-Feature-Film (shot in english with an american Cast), the tragic Lovestory "Sunset Motel" (2003) as a DVD-Premiere (I don't know if any festival or theatrical distributor accepted it).
In Addition, another italian Schlock-Horrorfilm, the crappy and cheap "Murder Secret" (1989) by Mario Bianchi. If there will be the same, perverse fascination for the worst as Lucio Fulci's "Demonia" brought me? When I saw it the first time, I hated it...
And a "Poliziottesco"-Double-Feature by NoShame, including the final film of the great Massimo Dallamano (maybe the italian Sam Fuller), "Quelli della calibro 38 / Colt 38 Special Squad" (1976) and Luciano Ercoli's long-lost last film "La Bidonata / The Rip-Off" (1977).

Here are the Screenshots of the german "The most important thing: Love"-DVD I promised you, arsaib:

Probably, it is available via X-ploited Cinema and / or

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:35 am

Looks like someone went on a little spending spree.

20 euros for Mouchette seemed a bit high initially, but not after my visit to a German site where the lesser U.K. version was being sold for 29.99!

It's a shame that I haven't seen more Italian releases from NoShame. Its The Desert of the Tartars was one of my best discoveries of 2006, and I was quite pleased when it introduced Bellocchio's remarkable Devil in the Flesh on subtitled DVD (which has already gone OOP).

Thanks for the screenshots -- but am I being tempted?!

I still haven't discovered where the subtitles in the video you linked earlier came from. Perhaps it wasn't an excerpt from an official release.

Postby A » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:37 am

Aha, I see R6dw6C already commented on our little shopping tour. I guess I'll have to post something myself, then.

When I first entered the sacred halls of the DVD-afficcionado living in Nuremberg, I went in with the calm conscience of a man who doesn't intend to buy anything.
2 hours and 32 movies later the world was another one.

What I bought (at incredibly low prices - I never payed more than 5 Euros for a DVD, most of which are R1):

"Schoolgirl Report" Box (together with Matalo Matango).
Last Days (Gus Van Sant)
Session 9 (Brad Anderson)
Terminator - Special Edition (James Cameron)
Bruce Lee's "The Cinese Connection" (Lo Wei)
Neil Young - Heart of Gold (Jonathan Demme)
Primer (Shane Carruth)
Zatoichi meets the One-Armed Swordsman (Yasuda Kimiyoshi)
Sasori Jailhouse 41 Vol.2 (Shunya Ito)
Ruckus (Max Kleven) - hopefully a guilty pleasure
Assassination Tango (Robert Duvall)
Code 46 (Michael Winterbottom)
Auto Focus - Special Edition (Paul Schrader)
24 Hour Party people (Michael Winterbottom)
Naked Killer (Clarence Ford) - couldn't resist the cover and description
Fists of Fury (Lo Wei)
Hoop Dreams - Criterion (Steve James)
The Squid and the Whale - Special Edition (Noah Baumbach)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Tommy Lee Jones)
Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song - 30th Anniversary Special Edition (Melvin Van Peebles)
House of Flying Daggers (Zhang Yimou)
Double Featur Collection Takeshi Kitano: "Zatoichi" and "Sonatine"
Amy's O (Julie Davis) - I wanted a romantic comedy; hope this wasn't a mistake...
CQ - Special Edition (Roman Coppola)
The Secret Lives of Dentists - Special Edition (Alan Rudolph) - Finally! I've wanted to see this for ages...

Gozu (Takashi Miike) - one of Miike's best; a joy!

Postby wpqx » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:08 am

I remember starting this thread so many years ago, damn it feels like an eternity since I've purchased a DVD.

Postby A » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:28 pm

It seems you are a wise man when it comes to decisions concerning money. At least, more thoughtful than me and R6dw6C.

Postby R6dw6C » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:44 pm

Yes, don't be sad, wpqx! At least, you probably spend your money in more reasonable things - it's good if you're used to that. Look, here we have it:

Quote:I went in with the calm conscience of a man who doesn't intend to buy anything.
2 hours and 32 movies later the world was another one.

Doesn't this sound sick?!

Perfect description. Seems we communicated via telepathy.

@ arsaib:

Are you sure about the Bellochio being OOP? I really wanted to buy it the last time it crossed my way but there wasn't a single cent left in my pocket...

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:08 am

No I don't have money for DVD's because I have no money for anything. I literally have nothing in my wallet.

Return to Film Talk