Naruse / Mizoguchi on DVD / VHS

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Naruse / Mizoguchi on DVD / VHS

Postby gululv » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:56 pm

Do you know if the Mizoguchi films available on video on Amazon (most of them out of print, but it's possible to buy them used) have good enough picture quality to watch? I once watched "Ugetsu" on a VHS tape with a horrible picture quality. It doesn't seem like Mizoguchi will get a digital revival for a while, and I can't wait any longer to see more of his films.

Re: Naruse / Mizoguchi on DVD / VHS

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:19 am

If you're buying from an amazon seller then it obviously depends on how "used" it is. The ones I own are good enough to watch.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:06 pm

Home Vision and New Yorker released several of his films on VHS, and those prints are generally pretty damn good. My Crucified Lovers was from some independant source and it shows. In other words look for the name brand, the prints of Sansho the Bailiff, Life of Oharu, Osaka Elegy, and A Geisha are pretty good.
wpqx

Postby Johndav » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:29 pm

Well, i'm finally taking the plunge to get Amazon US video of Five Women around Utamaro, hope it transfers o.k to my British machine. Being a b+w film solves the problem with colour not working on PAL. Other videos i'd bought from France + Britain were fine.
Johndav

Postby wpqx » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:05 pm

I wasn't overly impressed with that. Luckily, joy oh joy, Facets is showing some of Mizoguchi's films on the BIG SCREEN, and I'm about to leave to see Street of Shame, so look out Mizoguchi #11.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:23 pm

You're getting late!
arsaib4

Postby Johndav » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:17 pm

What an extraordinary and poignant final shot to end such a career.
Johndav

Postby wpqx » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:40 am

arsaib is right, I missed the film due to traffic, apparently Chicagoans act like they've never seen rain before. Alas, I'll see the film eventually, but it would have been nice to see it in a theater environment. I'm a little upset that they showed Rasputin but didn't advertise it in the paper, or send me a notice, shame on them, I certainly would have tried to catch it. Such is the problem with their screenings, but at least the price is right.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:50 am

Five Mizoguchi films have been recently released in France with English subtitles.

2 DVD-set: LES AMANTS CRUCIFIS (The Crucified Lovers/Chikamatsu Monogatari/1954) and L'INTENDANT SANSHO (Sansho the Bailiff/Sansh Day/1954). Available HERE.

2 DVD-set: L'IMPRATRICE YANG KWEI FEI (The Empress Yank Kwei Fei/Ykihi/1955) and LA RUE DE LA HONTE (Street of Shame/Akasen Chitai/1956). Available HERE.

2 DVD-set (one film): LE HROS SACRILGE (The Sacrilegious Hero/Shin Heike Monogatari/1955). Available HERE.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:47 pm

For people who feel a bit apprehensive about buying from overseas, 2 of the aforementioned Mizoguchi boxsets are now available from U.S. based retailer Xploited Cinema.
arsaib4

Next

Return to Film Talk