New Yorker Films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

New Yorker Films

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:32 am

Theo Angelopoulos' ETERNITY AND A DAY (1998) will be released on DVD on August 15th.

*Video Introduction by scholar Andrew Horton (author of THE FILMS OF THEO ANGELOPOULOS)
*Analysis of a Shot
arsaib4

Re: New Yorker Films

Postby wpqx » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:48 am

I saw this news announced awhile ago. I have a Japanese Import (or maybe Korean) that has English subs, and its not really worth replacing. I just hope New Yorker can work on getting some more of his films out, particularly the films never released on VHS like The Beekeeper and Days of '36.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:10 am

Days of '36 is coming out on DVD next month. More to come...
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:55 am

From who and in what country?
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:06 am

Theo Angelopoulos, Greece, I wonder if the UK will see more of his films released apart from Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:28 pm

This is certainly great news, Angelopoulos getting more and more released on DVD. I only know his films from "The Beekeper" (198 onwards. Would be great to watch something from his earlier period, especially as he is considered to have changed his style (more brechtian in the past, compared to the "aristotelian" greek tragedys of his last 5 films)
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:17 pm

Haven't seen The Beekeeper yet because its never been available here on video. The Travelling Players I did see, and that's an absolutely amazing film and it would rank just under Landscape in the Mist as my favorite from him. But I still remain far too ignorant of his work.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:40 pm

Yes, a Greek label is issuing a few more of this films (with English subs). The Travelling Players was part of their first batch. The transfers are superb, and they are processed with Angelopoulos's approval. Artificial-Eye (U.K.) is scheduled to release a few later this year.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:39 am

Carlos Sorin's Intimate Stories (Historias Mnimas/2002), a wonderfully humanistic road-movie from the Argentine New Wave, is being released on DVD on July 18th.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 pm

I recall hearing about that film being released, but not having seen it I couldn't say I was all that excited, now on the other hand I might have to check it out. Admittingly I'm pretty weak on films from Argentina and Latin America in general.
wpqx

Next

Return to Film Talk