New Yorker Films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: New Yorker Films

Postby wpqx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:50 pm

That sounds right, did they ever release that Celine and Julie Go Boating DVD? After my exposure to some rare Rivette films last May I got the bug to re-watch what should unanimously be considered his masterpiece.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:05 pm

Nope, not yet. Since I had seen it before and was counting on New Yorker, I passed up an opportunity to watch Celine and Julie at the Rivette retro(s), though as I mentioned earlier I recently got a hold of the new edition from BFI. The print looks a little faded but it's the best currently available. Even though there are a few Rivette films I like more, this is certainly an important piece of work.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:07 pm

Of his films available I think only Joan the Maid and Va Savoir are the only two I haven't watched yet.

In other New Yorker news I was informed that Moolaade is finally coming out December 11th, now which year is another story.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:25 am

I Am Cuba has been delayed till Nov 20. It'll probably turn out to be good thing since the likes of Potemkin and Breathless also saw the light of day on Oct 23rd.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:19 pm

Yeah but this is New Yorker we're talking about a company whose been known to delay DVD's almost indefinitely.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:22 pm

Not New Yorker, it's Milestone in this case. New Yorker is simply the carrier, much like it was for Project X's Peter Watkins releases. But, generally speaking, you're right, of course. I was hoping that Zeitgeist Films, which distributed Jia's The World, would pick up his latest, the masterful Still Life, which I was able to catch at TIFF last year where the film had its N. American premiere, but it ended up being New Yorker. Will make an appropriate post soon.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:00 pm

I'm happy to report that Manoel de Oliveira's elegant Belle toujours is scheduled to be released on DVD in June, about two years after it had its N. American premiere at Toronto, and exactly a year after it was released in NYC. Hopefully, the fans of the Portugese master will finally get an opportunity to watch it.
arsaib4

Previous

Return to Film Talk