English friendly German films on German DVDs

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

English friendly German films on German DVDs

Postby A » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:27 am

As the title states correctly I have opened this thread to assemble all German films which are released on DVD in Germany and also have English subtitles or are otherwise viewable for an audience which understands the English language

Naturally, this isn't some nationalist stance, but an attempt to clarify for foreigners which DVDs of German films they can purchase, even if they don't speak the language.

Unfortunately, though the German DVD market as a whole is quite big, German films have the tendency to be released, if at all, only with German subtitles for the hearing impaired. And that's not because most of them would be licensed to foreign distributors, but more often producers seem to think them unnecessary. Well, as we all know big money couldn't be made, but there are some companies that aknowledge the existence of movielovers who aren't interested merely in Hollywood stuff and are able to operate the internet.

Maybe the ignorance for the foreign market becomes more clear when compared to countries that operate in a similar way (e.g. Japan or France). And unfortunately people don't listen to me.

Anyways, here's what I can do for you.

I have decided to list the films chronologically by year of production. The label which released the subtitled or English edition is highlighted. I have also linked to Amazon or other retailers if possible. If you have any questions, ask or send me a PM.

INDEX

Deadlock (Roland Klick / West Germany / 1970) Filmgalerie 451 (English language version / 88 min) TRAILER

Hitler - ein Film aus Deutschland "Hitler: A Film from Germany" (Hans-Jrgen Syberberg / West Germany, UK, France / 1978) Filmgalerie 451 (English language version / 442 min)

100 Jahre Adolf Hitler (Christoph Schlingensief / West Germany / 1989) Filmgalerie 451 (English subtitles / 55 min)

Das deutsche Kettensgenmassaker "The German Chainsaw Massacre" (Christoph Schlingensief / Germany / 1990) Filmgalerie 451 (English subtitles / 60 min)

Die 120 Tage von Bottrop (Christoph Schlingensief / Germany / 1997) Filmgalerie 451 (English subtitles / 60 min)

99 Euro Films (Various / Germany / 2001) Filmgalerie 451 (English subtitles / 80 min)

80 000 Shots (Manfred Walther / Germany / 2002) Filmgalerie 451 (no dialogue / 50 min)

Bungalow (Ulrich Khler / Germany / 2002) Filmgalerie 451 (English subtitles / 82 min)

Cinemania (Angela Christlieb, Stephen Kijak / Germany, USA / 2002) Filmgalerie 451 (English OV / 80 min)

Halbe Miete "Half the Rent" (Marc Ottiker / Germany / 2002) Filmgalerie 451 (English subtitles / 92 min)

D'Annunzios Hhle "D'Annunzio's Cave" (Heinz Emigholz / Germany / 2005) Filmgalerie 451 (English language version / 52 min)
A

Re: English friendly German films on German DVDs

Postby A » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:54 am

Index of German DVD labels with links to their respective homepages.

Filmgalerie 451

The first label that came to mind is Filmgalerie 451, which began as a videostore but is nowadays already releasing films to the cinema. You can order all of their films from their website, and they offer price reduction if you purchase more than one DVD.
A

Postby R6dw6C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:24 am

Great you finally picked up that idea again, A!

I would suggest four further companies which released many remarkable german films mainly in proper Quality and subtitled in english:

www.absolutmedien.de/
www.universumfilm.de/
www.goodmovies.de
www.edition-filmmuseum.com/

If you like (and all the others are interested!), I could prepare an own index and a short description for each of these four.

EDIT: At the moment, I'm working on the first of the four but I must confess that I undervalued the time it takes, so it will probably last a few more weeks. Hopefully, It'll be finished in the end of October.
R6dw6C

Postby A » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:27 pm

Yes, that would be great.

Just add the individual films to my first index, and the company with some information regarding their "foreign policy" in the second.

This way we can keep all the info on one place at the beginning of the thread.
A

Postby A » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:41 am

Yes, I also hugely undervalued the time this would take. On the good side there are more films to be discovered by a foreigner than we initially thought.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:27 am

Mach weiter so!
arsaib4

Postby R6dw6C » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:14 am

Das werde ich tun!

Do you speak german, arsaib?!

It will probably last even longer because tomorrow I will travel to Vienna AND the Vienna Film Festival together with Matalo Matango and another friend of ours (No surprise: A is already there... ). Of course, we'll hopefully visit a few sightseeings as well.

"Suspiria" on the giant screen from a new 35mm Print. Finally my sighs were heard.

Of course, there are many other delights to watch, but...
R6dw6C

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:19 am

Nein. ):

Enjoy your trip!
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk