Japanese New Wave on DVD

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Japanese New Wave on DVD

Postby A » Mon May 22, 2006 9:50 pm

Since two of you already mentioned this site were we will be able to get many classic japanese films from, I thought I should open a new thread.

Here's a link to their FAQ's:
www.japanesenewwave.com/faq.php
A

Re: Japanese New Wave on DVD

Postby arsaib4 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:37 pm

As wpqx suspected, these are second-rate products that should be approached with caution. I'm not sure if we should be "promoting" them without any first hand experience.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue May 23, 2006 3:22 am

Well I think Madhuban volunteered to be our ginnea pig, but if its legit and these prints are solid, then I'm all for it. They still have three Oshima films I've been looking for.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue May 23, 2006 3:57 am

"I think Madhuban volunteered to be our ginnea pig"

That's good to know.
arsaib4

Postby madhuban » Tue May 23, 2006 4:06 am

I've bought from superhappyfun and haven't been disappointed. And these guys are closely associated with it. In fact, superhappyfun will be taking the japanese releases off it's site because the ones on japanesewave are better. Now, the question is whether you are expecting a Criterion quality DVD. You'll be disappointed then. But their rating system is pretty transparent. When I bought Rivette's "Paris Belongs To Us", I knew it wouldn't be the best print, given that it was rated 6. Having to choose between a personal copy (so that I can watch this favourite whenever I like), and being denied that opportunity till somebody decides to release it years later, I went for the former. Some of the stuff was very good though, like "The Cremator" and "Hamlet Goes Business". I'll risk it with the japanesenewwave guys too, because I desperately want the Oshimas.

And, I'll get the Imamuras as soon as they are on offer

p.s. wpqx, I'll suggest getting onto their mailing lists. With superhappyfun, you have the additional advantage of accessing their password protected offers (that's where a 4-disc set of "Satantango" is hidden away). Also, I've always got prompt replies to any enquiries I've made so far, including queries about quality.

M
madhuban

Postby arsaib4 » Tue May 23, 2006 4:32 am

Thanks, Madhuban, I'm glad to hear that.
arsaib4

Postby gululv » Thu May 25, 2006 12:36 pm

Great! Finally! I have waited for many of these films to be released. I bought "Insect Woman" on Ebay, a crap copy, I won't buy anything at Ebay again, because it seems like every film I'm waiting for is coming to DVD.
gululv

Postby wpqx » Thu May 25, 2006 12:47 pm

These might just be the same versions. These aren't "official" releases, so hence the reason I'm proceeding with caution. My curiosity might just get the best of me, but I have enough dvd's to keep me busy for awhile.
wpqx

Postby madhuban » Thu May 25, 2006 2:14 pm

@ wpqx

I don't think they are the same versions because the JNW guys have been working on subtitling (which means that the versions they've got hold of did not have subtitles) and that's why it took so long to put out the DVDs.

M
madhuban

Postby A » Thu May 25, 2006 4:36 pm

Yes, I think madhuban may be on a good path. Maybe they are a bunch of people who want to make quick money, but to me they don't give this impression.
That's why I posted the FAQ page.
It seems that they are working to get the best possible versions without restoring the original material (for which there is no money). But they make their own subs id they deem it necessary, which is already a big thing, considering most crappy subs from the 60s and 70s (boy do I hate them! :( ) But I'll also wait for madhuabn, because I don't know how good the best DVD they may get hold of actually is, as they haven't laid out any minimal standards.
A

Next

Return to Film Talk