Subterranean Cinema

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Subterranean Cinema

Postby wpqx » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:32 pm

I have found a new site for rare and hard to find films called Subterranean Cinema. There are no prices listed, but the films are, and for ordering information you have to email. I'm wondering if anyone has ordered with them in the past and can either recommend or warn about them. I found it in my search for more Frederick Wiseman, and they have about 12 films of his that I don't own. In addition they have the only copy of Hour of the Furnaces I've been able to find after a 5 year search, as well as an unfortunately dubbed copy of Lilly Marleen. There's a lot more, including some films that already are readily available on DVD, but I plan on ordering if all goes well.

www.subcin.com/subvid.html
wpqx

Re: Subterranean Cinema

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:27 pm

From Frederick Wiseman:
BALLET
BELFAST, MAINE (2 discs)
DEAF
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE (2 discs)
ESSENE
HIGH SCHOOL II (2 discs)
HOSPITAL
JUVENILE COURT
LA COMEDIE FRANCAISE (2 discs)
MISSILE
NEAR DEATH (4 disc)
PRIMATE
PUBLIC HOUSING (2 disc)
RACETRACK
THE STORE
ZOO

Jean Luc Godard's SLOW MOTION
LES BLANK (3 discs): can't remember what is all on this, but I know it contains Gap-Toothed Woman, and doesn't have the two Blank films I already own starring Werner Herzog)
Stanley Kubrick FEAR AND DESIRE + SHORT FILMS
Fernando E Solonas and Octavio Getino's HOUR OF THE FURNACES (3 discs)
Luchino Visconti's THE INNOCENT
Elio Petri's INVESTIGATION OF A CITIZEN ABOVE SUSPICION
MICHAEL SNOW (4 discs): these include most of his films, but the main reason I'm ordering it is for Wavelength, I don't remember what else is included.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:34 pm

I thought you'd only select a couple initially to see if it works for you. That's a big order, but at least you'll be able to fill us in on quite a few. You don't have to reveal the prices, but how did it turn out?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:27 am

I haven't received them yet, and this is a somewhat small order for me I plan on ordering some more if everything works out, but I went a little overboard and ordered every Wiseman film he had that I didn't.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:45 am

Well true to his word, he got them here by Monday, so service is quick. As far as the quality, well you get what you can, and Fear and Desire looks like a poor quality 100 year old VHS tape transfered on to DVD.
wpqx

Postby madhuban » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:44 pm

How is Hour of Furnaces in terms of quality? I'm planning to order that and Berlin Alexanderplatz next month
madhuban

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:52 am

I'd wait for the official DVD release of Berlin Alexanderplatz because it's currently in the process of being restored for the 25th anniversary of Fassbinder's death early next year.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:55 am

I actually haven't watched the Hour of the Furnaces DVD yet, but from what I was told the quality isn't exactly pristine.
wpqx

Postby madhuban » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:45 am

Thanks arsaib, but I think I'll get the subcin version because it is affordable. Given that the film will run into at least 6 dual layer discs, the official DVD release will certainly be beyond my means

@wpqx

I've seen Hour of the Furnaces at a National Film Archive screening and I don't expect the DVD to be great. As long as it is watchable, it is fine

M
madhuban

Return to Film Talk