Ray & Kieslowski

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Ray & Kieslowski

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:30 am

Satyajit Ray's Shakha Proshakha (The Branches of the Tree/1990) is being released on DVD (with English subs) in France. It will be available on Feb. 16th.

Kieslowski's perennially undervalued The Double Life of Veronique (La double vie de Vronique/1991) is also coming out in France. MK2, who have created a special website for their 2-disc version, will release the film on Feb. 22 (subs included).

extras include:

- Documentary on making of film by Ruben Korenfeld (53 mins)
- Interview with Irne Jacob (17 mins, 2005)
- '1966-1988' Kieslowski documentary by Luc Lagier (30 mins)
- 3 short films : LUsine(17 mins), LHpital (20 mins), La Gare (12 mins)
- Short film by Kazimierz Karabasz (10 mins)
arsaib4

Re: Ray & Kieslowski

Postby trevor826 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:43 am

That's great news arsaib4, although I haven't seen Shakha Proshakha (The Branches of the Tree/1990), every Ray film I have seen has been wonderful.

As for The Double Life of Veronique (La double vie de Vronique/1991), I can't believe it's taken so long but hopefully it'll be an exceptional release, certainly sounds like.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:34 am

Yeah, it has taken quite a bit of time. Here the film is tangled between various distributors so who knows how long it will take. But in the U.K., Artificial-Eye will release it on April 24th.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:43 pm

I guess I'm one of those people that undervalues it. I wasn't overly impressed with the film, but seeing what great work was done with Kieslowski's already available films in the US, I would hope that this continues on. I'd be much more interested in the release of his Calm Before the Storm however.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:28 am

Veronique will be available on DVD in the U.S. very shortly.

In the meantime, Kieslowski retro is ready to begin in NYC. I'll get to it when it reaches Toronto next month. It's quite comprehensive!
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:13 am

Very nice.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Return to Film Talk