DVD WISH LIST

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

DVD WISH LIST

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:02 am

Well it always makes me weep in bitter anger at the films that do get released vs. the films that should be released. So reading about a retrospective of Louis Malle's work I longed deeply for his films to get some damn dvd treatment. So from there I'm working on my own little list of films I'd love to see on DVD. Generally keeping it to Region One discs, some of these films may be out in other countries.

From Louis Malle
The Silent World
The Lovers
Zazie Dans Le Metro
Lacombe, Lucien
Elevator to the Gallows
The Fire Within

The Hour of the Furnaces - #1 movie I'd like to see in any form
Face to Face - Of all the Bergman, I'd love this to be released in its full TV incarnation
Lili Marleen - Heard lots about this film, but of all the Fassbinder on DVD, this one has no release date in site
Point of Order - blame New Yorker for this doc being OOP
Cat People - I heard over a year ago that an 8 film Val Lewton set was going to be released last February, but well I'm still waiting
The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith - how is the supposed best Australian film not released ever
Diamonds of the Night - Hoping Facets might step up with this, classic Czech film that is only (scarcely) available in a horrible VHS print
Ace in the Hole/The Big Carnival - got to see this in a theater, and can't understand why this is being kept out of mass consumption, it is flawless
Celine and Julie Go Boating - Rivette's best film, at least from the few I've seen

From Nagisa Oshima (anybody have any idea why these are OOP?)
Boy
The Ceremony
Death by Hanging
Cruel Story of Youth

From Ernst Lubitsch
Kiss Me Again
So This is Paris
Eternal Love
The Love Parade
The Patriot
One Hour With You
If I Had a Million

I'll stop there, and I hope that this list become obsolete very soon.
wpqx

Re: DVD WISH LIST

Postby A » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:03 pm

I wish they'd release Jean Eustache's two feature films, so I could watch them again,... and again,... and again,... and..
Ok, I've made my point clear.
I'd also wish for a full version of Ryu Murakami's Tokyo Decadence (Topazu / Japan / 1992) with english subtitles, looots of extras (interviews, making of, etc.) and maybe Audition as a bonus disc But I'd also be satisfied with a complete version with english subs
Besides that, The long awaited Angelopoulos Box set, with ALL his films, and some major extras (more than an hour additional footage of "Ulysse's Gaze" *dream* ), should come out sometim this year, or I'll go nuts! It has been announced for ages.

Also early /animation, and late (after La Bete) Borowczyck in good prints even on Video would be fine with me.
And Skolimowski's films, as well as anything by Ken McMullen ( or at least Zina) would be great, and who knows, maybe McMullen will one day start making films again like Skolimowski?

And How about some films by Glauber Rocha, or from "classic" filmmakers from the philippines like Lino Brocka or Mike de Leon?

And personal favorites, I'd like to see once on a decent DVD, like Bertolluci's "1900" and James Toback's "Fingers".

And at last, a Parajanoc Box-Set with all of his works (fragments included) with remastered prints would be fine, and I don't want to start about all the films I haven't seen yet, because of their unavailability, ( "Nouvelle Vague" by Godard with english subs?)

But I won't go on, or this list will become endless.
So as not to ask too much, I'd even be happy with only the two Eustache's. Pleeeeease.
A

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:38 pm

Just for a start, all the Zhang Yimou/Gong Li films.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:26 am

Forget about Yimou, but primarily Red Sourghum I'd like to see. While I'm at it, can't remember if I mentioned it but I'd love to see more early Hou and Yang films, particularly City of Sadness and A Brighter Summer Day. I have City of Sadness on a DVD without English subtitles, so I could only really see the film rather than understand it.

Glad to hear that Black Girl is coming out soon, so another film from my wishlist can leave. I have heard of the Angelopoulus boxed set, but so far nothing is on the horizon for the US.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:30 pm

Link to further posts on this subject:

What films do you really want to see but not yet on DVD?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Hokuto1 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:14 pm

Max Ophuls..Earrings of Madame de...or most other Ophuls titles too
Hokuto1

Return to Film Talk