Eric Rohmer's Box-Set

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Eric Rohmer's Box-Set

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:18 am

Arrow Films in the U.K. have brought together 8 of Rohmer's most influential films, including all 6 films from his Comedies and Proverbs series, as part of a newly released DVD box-set.

The films are :

Love in the Afternoon

Full Moon in Paris

The Aviator's Wife

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend

Pauline at the Beach

The Green Ray

The Marquise of O

A Good Marriage

While all of them are available on DVD in the U.S., what's significant about this set is its price. Bensons in the U.K. are offering it for GBP 29.95 (at least right now), which is about $55. So, if my math is correct, one film comes to about $6.88. I don't think one can do better than that. Here it is.

Needless to say, the discs are Region-2 PAL, so a multi-system player is required.
arsaib4

Re: Eric Rohmer's Box-Set

Postby trevor826 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:51 am

The only negative point is that the transfers are only adequate, they could have been a lot better but at least they're good value.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Johndav » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:49 am

Well worth it- The Green Ray and My Girlfriend's Boyfriend my pick of the bunch, not much to choose between the rest, The Marquise of O (period drama) perhaps the weakest, imo, though i did see it in a couple of critics' top 10's some years back.

I'll have to check out the setting for Pauline at the Beach, in Brittany apparently. Glad to find A Summer's Tale location not far from where i'm now living- at Dinard. Snow there 2 days ago, not quite the image expected!
Johndav

Postby madhuban » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:50 pm

Found this incredible deal on the Rohmer box set!

www.selectcheaper.com/sea...rch=FCD219

M
madhuban

Postby A » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Seems a very cheap site. I wonder if the prices are always so low, or if they are just having a sell out.
Anyone familiar with it?
I'd buy the box-set, but I'm still broke. Better to pay the rent for this month.
A

Postby madhuban » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:37 pm

I was secretly feeling happy last week that the superhappyfun site was down, and that prevented me from using up all I had to get a new cartload of rare films! And now the lure of Rohmer! To buy or not to buy, that is the question

M
madhuban

Postby trevor826 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:52 pm

The price is excellent but I have to re-iterate, the transfers are adequate at best, the images appear flat and lacking. They don't seem any better than a video release and really pale in comparison with the transfers of Rohmers films released through Artificial Eye. Shame that Arrow didn't put a little effort into these films. Still, good value for money.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Return to Film Talk