Why?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Why?

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:54 am

Why are the majority of Asian DVD releases either horror or violent films, do the companies not realise the potential market they're missing out on?

For example, there were 4 or 5 Korean DVDs released recently in the UK, they were:

H - a violent film about serial killings.
Acacia - A horror film, actually seems quite interesting but that's not my point.
The Quiet Family - Another film with a lot of violence in it albeit on a lighter note than H.
Real Fiction - I know it's Ki-duk Kim but still chock full of violence.
Doll Master - A very poorly rated horror film.

Where are the dramas, where are the classics, in fact where is anything that doesn't smack of making a quick buck?

The bubble will burst soon and then what? Companies are cutting their own throats and some of them (no names mentioned) should know a lot better.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this subject?

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Re: Why?

Postby A » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:46 pm

Here in Germany the commercial releases (which are most) are also only horror or splatter movies, or some second rate trash. It seems that the licences for these b-films are very cheap, and with the current asia-boom, it's easy to make a quick buck with the casual videostore customer.
But I agree that this will soon be over, as it isn't based on quality.
But there are also (very few) quality releases from small labels. Some Kim-ki duk, some japanese films, and I think Nobody knows will be released soon.
A

Return to Film Talk