The Orphanage (El Orfanato) (2007) (Spain)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Orphanage (El Orfanato) (2007) (Spain)

Postby hengcs » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:10 pm

Director: Juan Antonio Bayona
Cast: Belén Rueda, Fernando Cayo, Geraldine Chaplin, Montserrat Carulla, Mabel Rivera, Andrés Gertrúdix
My Thoughts
-- Lazy to type ... so some random thoughts ...

(i) Plot/Pace/Events related ...
... some scary scenes indeed ...
... thought the ending was so so ... sigh ...
... thought the story could have dwelt with the past much better ...
... there was an interesting parallel ... the story told of two mothers who loved their children ...

(ii) Acting
... the female protagonist carried her role well ...
... the old lady was scary ...

Recommended, but only as a mainstream movie.

PS: unfortunately, it did not have the analytical depth that I found in Pan's Labyrinth ... ;(

Re: The Orphanage (El Orfanato) (2007) (Spain)

Postby R6dw6C » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:16 pm

Your review confirms what I already wrote: A good film but there's not much to write about. If somebody would've asked me for a review, it would've been very short, I guess. The interesting and recommandable German Film Magazine "Splatting Image" wrote: "It's fascinating that the viewer never has the feeling of watching only a chain of stolen ideas". Very compending, imo. The best way to describe what makes the film worthwhile.

Btw, I thought the ending was great.

Postby hengcs » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:39 am

R6dw6C wrote: Btw, I thought the ending was great.

It was a touching ending ... but i thought it was an "easy" way to end ... it would be difficult to spring a surprise on the audience (which was what i thought could make the film much better) The following is quoted from THE LAST MOVIE WATCHED thread
R6dw6C wrote: I watched " El Orfanato / The Orphanage " tonight in the cinema (dubbed) and couldn't really figure out what all this fuss is about and why they (Spain) chose it as their Oscar submission - it's well done, it has its great and hypnotic moments but overall, it isn't outstanding in any way expect for the slow and non-striking pacing which is very unusual today in films like this (mystery / ghost tale), as well as the pleasant lack of ridiculous loud shock effects and clumsy gore. But the writer / director should've cared for more than this and elegant photography, it needs a bit more creativity and substance (the film has substance but it feels forced sometimes) to get grandeur and that's what they obviously wanted to achieve. I had to think of Jack Clayton's "The Innocents" all the time, as well as of Dario Argento and William Castle - not a compliment for a remarkable, but overrated film. (7/10 - 19)

I also wondered at their choice for Oscar submission. I could believe it was a box office hit, but somehow, i doubt the academy members would appreciate or applaud this kind of film ...

in fact, when the film first began, i even wondered, would it be another The Sixth Sense?! ... but by the end, i thought it did not have the depth of The Sixth Sense ...

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:47 am

Is this not primarily a Spanish film (a film from Spain, that is)?

Postby hengcs » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:15 am

Return to Film Talk