El Verdugo (1963)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

El Verdugo (1963)

Postby wpqx » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:41 pm

Found the entire film online here so feel free to check it out, I plan on watching it over the next couple of days.
wpqx

Re: El Verdugo (1963)

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:37 am

How's your Spanish?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:25 am

Better than any language besides English, for what that's worth.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:23 am

This film seems rather in tune with the wave of Italian comedies coming out around this time. Morbid at times yet quietly funny. Berlanga has become something of a legend in Spanish cinema and I've only recently heard of him, it doesn't help that most of his films are unavailable here in the US and the few that are don't appear to have any subtitles (this one included). However the nuts and bolts of the story is that young man is the son of the undertaker. He can't find any perspective girl because of the extremely morbid family profession. He dreams of becoming a mechanic in Germany but that is not to be. He eventually meets a lovely young girl whose father happens to be the town's executioner. Naturally the two misfits are a perfect match but the would be son in law has to take over the family business in order to marry the executioners daughter. He is talked into it when the old man tells him lots of people get sentenced but they always are pardoned. Well it just so happens that his first case doesn't get pardoned and in a deliciously satirical moment the executioner is dragged off kicking and screaming on his way to execute the condemned. Bunuelian in its sense of humor which has led a few to wonder if it isn't just a Spanish trait. I certainly hope I can get some more films from Berlanga, most notably Bienvenido Mister Marshall and Placido.
wpqx

Postby justindeimen » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:12 pm

I did get the Divorce - Italian Style vibe from it.
justindeimen

Postby wpqx » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:27 pm

That's exactly what I had in mind. I wish I could have seen it under better conditions, but I'll just add it to the list (La Roue, Dura Lex, By the Bluest of Seas, Chronicle of a Summer, The River and Death) of films to see again with subtitles when I can.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:18 pm

Me and John did discuss the film's availability a while back. I believe it's out on Spanish DVD, but no Eng subs.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:43 am

I believe the same is true on a couple of other Berlanga films.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:06 am

At least a couple, if you click here and search under the director's name. I wouldn't mind watching El verdugo again, but I wish the image size was better, though then the resolution would probably suffer. Weren't you able to locate some sort of a sub file for this film?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:15 am

I didn't find one for Verdugo, but I did find a sub file for Bienvenido Mister Marshall, which will be useful when I get that film finished.
wpqx

Return to Film Talk