Soul of a Demon (Hu Die) (2008) (Taiwan)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Postby hengcs » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:04 pm

Director: Chang Tso Chi
Cast: Tseng Yi-che, Chen Pei-chun, Cheng Yu-jen

PS: In Taiwan, on the island of Lan Yu, the local dialect has no proper name for butterfly. Instead, they call it Babanalid u (i.e., Soul of a Demon). Hopefully, this enlightens those who are wondering why the Chinese film title "Butterfly" gets translated differently. Actually, in some Chinese folklores, stories, films or beliefs, those who die are depicted to have transformed into butterflies.

For more info, click the official blog (in Chinese)
http://blog.pixnet.net/soulofademon
hengcs

Re: Soul of a Demon (Hu Die) (2008) (Taiwan)

Postby R6dw6C » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:40 pm

Well, it's finished - it must be since it was shown at the Berlin International Film Festival in February.
R6dw6C

Postby hengcs » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:20 am

sorry ...
i mean to say, "i am still editing my review"
anyway, it is now done ... (see next)
hee hee
hengcs

Postby hengcs » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:25 am

With the release of the protagonist from the prison, should bygones be bygones? The baggage of the past compounded with the burden of the future. Like "Butterflies" (i.e., the film title), he fancied to take flight, but was weighted from within, by a dead soul. The pleasantly poetic and peaceful picture contrasts with the imminent turbulent and threatening turmoil -- the main selling point of the film. It is full of fade outs, sometimes remaining in the same scene, sometimes emerging from a new scene. The laziness and the lethargy accentuated the languid life of the common people, peace is all that one desires. But peace comes with a price. Unlike typical Hong Kong films about triads, this film feels very Taiwanese. If you are in for a tranquil trip that culminates in tearful tragedy, this is the film for you.

3.5 stars out of 5

~ hengcs
hengcs

Return to Film Talk