Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008 / USA)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008 / USA)

Postby wpqx » Tue May 27, 2008 3:16 am

In some cases it's best to let sleeping dogs lie. The Godfather III did little to enhance the legacy of the first two and well Halloween garnered about 6 sequels too many. Every so often though a pause in time can be a good thing. Stepping into familiar territory and although a little rusty quickly regains it's footing. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is just as ridiculous and corny as the original three Indiana Jones films and every time something seems too far fetched just remember that it's right in line with the franchise. This film is enjoyable and only adds to the legacy of the first three. Was it necessary? Probably not, but does it entertain, certainly.

It may seem odd but I generally avoided most previews for the film so the story was relatively new and fresh to me. The chronology of the film is pretty consistent and our new enemies are good old fashioned reds. Cate Blanchett might seem quite out of character as a super villain, but within 5 seconds she's completely believable and that's probably just another testament to her extraordinary ability. A terrific supporting cast and some familiar faces populate it, and the old fashioned something old, something new, something borrowed formula is well on display here. Throughout are quirky winks to the audience that are perfectly in line with the world created back in 1981 with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Perhaps a little high on the CGI this time around but looking at some of the earlier film's effects (notably Temple of Doom) it is certainly a step up. Perhaps it resurrected a long dormant part of my childhood but this film delivered for me.
wpqx

Return to Film Talk