Fritz Lang's M

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Fritz Lang's M

Postby mouse » Sat Aug 04, 2001 3:18 pm

I just saw this incredible film again and wanted some opinions.The fact that you can imagine the horror of what's going on without it thrown in your face is a compliment to any great film. I would enjoy any feedback. Thanks

Re: Fritz Lang's M

Postby bdk160 » Sat Aug 04, 2001 11:56 pm

M is most likely Fritz Lang at his finest: Use of symbolism, scenes which seem so simple but are in fact full of terror-check Lorre at he toy store window-you see the face of a man possesed of demons and knows it and the self hatred which follows. I could go on but I don't want to write a thesis. In my opinion every shot, angle, what is seen and what isn't, the "Police" vs the "Police", the fact that Lorre is not seen in many scenes, but we know he's there. Lang is probably my favorite director of the German silent era and his first few films in Hollywood. Check out Fury (I know it isn't foreign?). I agree with your introduction to this topic. I saw M and my mind went out of control. Danke vielmals.

Re: Fritz Lang's M

Postby D-rel » Mon Aug 20, 2001 5:21 pm

Every time I've seen this film I've been wowed by its use of sound, particularly because it was an early film of the sound era. It gives you an eerie feeling to watch it, because in many places this is still a silent film. Sound effects are added where they will have dramatic effect, but where they would be required for just an everyday reality, they're left makes each noise--especially the "Peer Gynt" theme, which usually breaks a silence--that much more effective.

Return to Film Talk