Recent Foreign Greats...

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Recent Foreign Greats...

Postby chicagotag » Fri Oct 19, 2001 5:26 pm

I have only seen several foreign films (Shall we Dance, To Live, Il Postino)and likes them all. I want suggestions for movies i should watch...probably more recent movies catch my attention...so any recent movies from 80s, 90s that are considered great by all and interesting, thank you
chicagotag

Re: Recent Foreign Greats...

Postby Chickp1017 » Wed Dec 12, 2001 8:13 am

You must add some French films to your list! Still in theatres..."Amelie". Out on video: "Rosetta," "Ma Vien en Rose," "Dream Life of Angels," "All the Mornings of the World" to start. "The Scent of Green Papaya" is beautiful too. Japanese: "Kikujiro" is a gem, as well as "Maboroshi."
Chickp1017

Postby katsuben » Sat Dec 22, 2001 6:20 am

Why do you want to see movies "considered great by all"? First, there is no such practical concept. Second, why not watch a movie considered great by you?
katsuben

Postby john-5 » Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:11 pm

like chickp,i very much like Maborosi and Rosetta.From the last few years try also:Show Me Love,Solas,Eternity and a Day(i think it's absolutely superb,terribly touching,stately camerawork,but it's a little slow for some),Cyclo,In the Mood for Love,Festen,Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon,The Apple.Amores Perros is excellent,but i struggled with the early,brilliantly simulated dogfight scenes(a little harrowing),so it may not be to all tastes either.Iran and the far East(Edward Yang and Hou Hsiao- Hsien from Taiwan,and Kiarostami from Iran for instance are marvellous directors)have produced many fine films in recent years.Just experiment with a range of directors,countries,styles etc,'cos everyone's opinions are different. There's a whole wonderful world to explore,and don't forget to try some of the older classics.
john-5

Return to Film Talk