Sarah Polley's Away from Her (Canada / 2006)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Sarah Polley's Away from Her (Canada / 2006)

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:31 am

Based on Alice Munro's short story The Bear Came Over the Mountain, this accomplished and affecting feature directorial debut of renowned Canadian actress Sarah Polley is now available on DVD (Lionsgate). The film premiered at the 2006 Toronto Film Festival. It opened in the U.S. back in May of '07, and did fairly well critically and commercially ($4.5 million). Thanks in large part to the various awards and nominations garnered by Julie Christie's remarkable performance, this small gem is now back in the limelight.
arsaib4

Re: Sarah Polley's Away from Her (Canada / 2006)

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:37 am

A's review is coming soon...
arsaib4

Postby R6dw6C » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:43 pm

What's going on here?! I remember another posting by A, arsaib!
It would've been great to see Miss Polley's debut in the theatres, but this time I am in accord with A's advice never to watch it dubbed as it's totally based on the actors.
Maybe I'll comment on it when it comes out on DVD.
R6dw6C

Postby A » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Yes, there was a somewhat embarassing post from me. But I'm kinda glad it's gone. I believe my long anticipated review will do more justice to the film.

Btw, our frequent reader (and not-so-frequent poster) Matalo Matango was able to catch Away from Her in a subtitled copy in Munich, and now has it on his Top List for 2007. Maybe he would also like to comment on the film?
A

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:17 am

Yes, R6dw6C, a couple of the threads that were updated around the time we officially converted to Yuku got deleted (or at least disappeared from the front page). In a way, I'm glad that nothing happened to, say, the Last Film Seen thread or any of the other important review-based ones.

Looking forward to your review, A. I'm sure it will do justice to the film.
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk