international animation

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

international animation

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:44 am

Not a huge amount about Animated films on the website,from what i've seen.Which non-American animations have you most enjoyed?I'd like to recommend The Mascot(1933),by Starewicz,which would seem to have influenced The Wrong Trousers (superb,but already well-known)and The Nightmare before Chistmas.At least,certain similarities struck me.Also,for something distinctly weird,try Street of Crocodiles,by the British-based,but Czech-influenced Americans,the Quay twins.Svankmajer animations are also unusual,surreal.Opinions please on the Japanese Ghibli films.I understand Laputa:Castles in the Sky,Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbour Totoro are probably the best.(I've seen Princess Mononoke).Is this right?They've been unavailable in Britain.
john-5

Re: international animation

Postby stof_ » Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:22 pm

My favourite animated movie would have to be the Canadian Rock and Rule. Theres also the very violent and erotic Heavy Metal. Both produced by the same Canadian Company. Canadian animation in the 80's was an interesting type. Too bad it disapeared
stof_

Re: international animation

Postby john-5 » Sun Jan 06, 2002 4:06 pm

I've seen some fine Canadian animation by McLaren,Leaf and Condie, and others,but not your recommendation.I'll see if i can find it.
john-5

Return to Film Talk