What time is it there (a masterpiece)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

What time is it there (a masterpiece)

Postby bossamb » Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:27 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone seen What time is it there, yet? I watched this film on Saturday at Lincoln Plaza and loved it. The plot of the film is very simple: a young guy who is selling watches on street falls in 'love' with a woman who he meets on the streets and who is just about to leave for Paris... The film is about the two and the physical distance between them and their inner emotions.
What time is it there is so funny in a weird way. With a steady camera, and really beautiful shots I forgot that I was in New York, but felt like in Taipei where the film is set. I have watched other films by the same director, Tsai Ming, and I think that this one is his best film.
If you have seen it, can somebody tell me what you think about the last scene?

Re: What time is it there (a masterpiece)

Postby kmcalma » Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:47 pm

I rented this on DVD and found it very good and quite interesting. The director was extremely good and innovative. If I were teaching film I would show my students the first scene of the film that seems to last about five minutes where the man is sitting and gets up and walks out the door and comes back and sits down again- to show how Asian and other foreign filmmakers work...Very different from American cinema.

Return to Film Talk