Hollywood and British Films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Hollywood and British Films

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:14 am

No offense, but we could all post lists upon lists of films that we haven't heard of, but they don't help. To the person who originally posed this question, I suggest reading "Movie Wars: How Hollywood and the Media Conspire to Limit What Films We Can See" by Jonathan Rosenbaum. Rosenbaum is film critic for The Chicago Reader, and the most intelligent and gifted American critic since Pauline Kael. The guy is like an American Andre Bazin, the way he dissects film and relates film culture, and agree or disagree with him, he is always well informed and usually right on the money. He talks about the differences between American cinema and British Cinema at their basic levels (script, director, produer) to the way they're marketed, distributed and promoted.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby Gaz » Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:09 pm

Well I'VE heard of most of them and seen several...

But then I am British.
Gaz

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:41 pm

same here ! and i'm an aussie who just happens to love great acting &great films something you get in british cinema more than american overall!shakespeare helps, the usa never had a shakespeare but then again who else did?
gratefultiger

Postby Gaz » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:51 pm

I second that.
Gaz

Postby Gaz » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:53 pm

And...if you want to see the difference between British and US cinema, may I recommend for the umpteenth time...

IF....

by the late, great Lindsay Anderson.

I thank you.
Gaz

Postby gratefultiger » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:14 am

A Classic! As it is still pertinent & will probably always be so.
gratefultiger

Postby sapphire » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:57 pm

I'm American and I have seen many on the list. One main difference between British and American is the "money issue". Brits make film for artistic reasons and not for money, (unless you're a struggling actor).
sapphire

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:19 pm

You can't say that all American directors make films for money and not artistic reasons. How do you explain Harmony Korine, Jim Jarmusch, David Gordon Green, John Cassavetes, and John Sayles? All talented filmmakers who have CHOSEN to make their own movies their own way outside and away from the studio system. Sure, their films get picked up for distribution by majors, but these guys are not millionaires.

bigpoppa_2059

Postby HekateMistress » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:21 am

Is The Hours considered an American or British film? Or a co-production?
HekateMistress

Postby pre-tender » Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:14 am

what a point ? yep man i tis very confusinşg to distingusih the british from USA-made films!!! especially for non-english speaking people :)
i have seen:
Trainspotting (visually daring-interesting, reminded me Requiem for a dream)
Full Monty ( just saw the first part, will se the second part in an hour: as for 1st part it was so-so)
pre-tender

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk