New to Foreign Film

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

New to Foreign Film

Postby kmcalma » Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:35 pm

Ive been viewing foreign films for about 4 years. I love the idea of "escaping from Hollywood" and seeing new faces that I havent seen in 10 other movies. My favorite thing about foreign cinema is how creative the directors and others behind the camera are and what a freshness and vitality they bring. I am 38 yrs old and did not consider myself a film buff at all until I discovered these gems that most Americans will never see because they will not read subtitles...Unfortunate. My highest recommendation goes to AMELIE (Jeunet). If you have not seen this great French film it is a must!
kmcalma

Re: New to Foreign Film

Postby mouse » Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:50 pm

Amelie was a great film...let me recommend that you check out some films by Zhang Yimou starring the wonderful Gong Li. My favorite of these is Raise the Red Lantern.
mouse

Postby kmcalma » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:50 pm

Thanks mouse, ...Red Lantern was a great recommendation. Looking forward to "The Road Home."
kmcalma

Postby john-5 » Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:45 am

Red Sorghum is the equal of Raise the Red Lantern, i think, and you should also enjoy other Gong Li- Zhang Yimou combinations To Live and Ju Dou.
john-5

Postby ygie » Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:55 am

One of the first foreign films I watched was "Cinema Paradiso" which till this day is one of my all time favorites. When someone new to foreign films asks me where to start I always suggest this film.
It's beautiful to watch the score is terrific, it stays with you for ever and the innocent love story is pure and simple.
Almodovar's films are also a good place to strat. He's most recent one, "All About My Mother" now showing on Bravo.
Others, "Tie me up Tie me Down" (My personal favorite)
"Women on the verge of a nervous Break down" You can search on the deatabase for more of his films.
Ingmar Bergman is also a great start if you are into older films.
ygie

Postby patsfan86 » Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:25 am

The film that "sent me on my way" was Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala. At that particular time I detested movies. Of course the overwhelming majority of the films that I had seen up to that point were post 1970 Hollywood offerrings. Dersu Uzala blew me away. I have been knee deep in foreign film ever since. If you have yet to see this one, give it a view.
patsfan86

Postby ygie » Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:53 pm

Absolutely "Dersu Uzala" one Kurusawa's best.
A great film by Kurusawa is "Ikiru" which reminds me of "Wild Strawberries" from Ingmar Bergman.
A foreign film that sends chills down my spine and probably (in my opinion)the best thriller I've ever seen, is "Funny Games" if you get a chance don't miss it.
ygie

Postby bjornam » Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:27 pm

If you like Amelie, you might like Lovers of the Arctic Circle by the unique filmmaker mr. Julio Medem, from Spain.
bjornam

Postby thegreatken1 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:59 am

My favorite is "Shaolin Soccer".
thegreatken1

Return to Film Talk