Love Affair: or the Case of the Missing Switchboard Operator

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Love Affair: or the Case of the Missing Switchboard Operator

Postby jancso » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:52 pm

Has anyone seen this, and if so what did they think of it?
jancso

Re: Love Affair: or the Case of the Missing Switchboard Operator

Postby john-5 » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:49 am

Well, i've only seen a few Makaveyev films but i thought it was clearly the most accomplished; i think it's stood the test of time a little better than WR:Mysteries of the Organism, which is probably his most famous. It's interesting for its fluent combination of fiction, newsreels and a range of material, and its intelligent analysis of sexuality and politics- which i'm sure would repay extra viewings. It's also (typically) quite playful and erotic in an understated way, not some dry intellectual exercise.
john-5

Postby jancso » Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:09 pm

I agree, this and WR are hilarious, repulsive, and thought-provoking all at the same time. Great stuff, but why do you think WR is dated?
jancso

Postby Mr. West » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:29 pm

Ah, I must've missed this thread back in August...

I absolutely love Love Affair. Definitely Makavejev's best, with Man is Not a Bird being a close second. I agree with all of John-5's points on Love Affair. And if you think about it, there is no way a film this charming could be made today.

I saw WR about six months ago, and didn't really like it then, but I should probably rewatch it now that I've seen these earlier films. I also saw Sweet Movie recently, which I thought was basically an indulgent mess. I'd say Makavejev's high point was definitely the late sixties.
Mr. West

Return to Film Talk