Two from Herzog

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Two from Herzog

Postby jancso » Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:54 pm

Nosferatu the Vampyre
Lessons in Darkness

These are two of his lesser known movies but I think both are exceptional. Nosferatu the Vampyre is a bit slow at times, but has a very interesting approach to the horror film. Lessons in Darkness is one of the most nightmarish documetaries I've seen.
jancso

Re: Two from Herzog

Postby gratefultiger » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:21 am

dear jancso teell me of lessos in darness is it the "kuwait"film? kinski is so good in nosferatu a great re working of murnaus classic
gratefultiger

Postby jancso » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:48 pm

Yeah, it's the Kuwait film.

It was a real love-or-hate film among the critics.
jancso

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:33 am

"lesser known" yeah, right. Every one and their mother know about Herzog's remake of Murnau's classic. But "Aguiurre: Warth of God" and "Fitzcarraldo" are his two best films I think. "Nosferatu" suceeds in its mission, but nothing beyond that.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby Mr. West » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:26 am

Yeah, I think W.H.'s 'Nosferatu' really had none of the charm of the 1920s film. Why try to remake such a great film anyway? My favorite Herzog is 'Every Man for Himself and God Against All' (a.k.a. The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser).

What's this Kuwait film about (plotwise)?
Mr. West

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:56 am

I read that Herzog was raptured and under the spell of the original 1922 classic, that he spent 3 months looking for the exact locations where Murnau shot his film and studied the area intently.
bigpoppa_2059

Return to Film Talk