The Silence

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Silence

Postby jancso » Sun Aug 11, 2002 10:07 pm

No, not Bergman's, but the relatively new Iranian movie about a blind boy. Did anyone see this, and how did you like it?
jancso

Re: The Silence

Postby malius » Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:00 pm

Do you mean the movie The Colour of Paradise (Rang-e khoda)? I saw this about a blind boy returning with his father to their village. The boy though much loved is a cause of shame and a problem for the father who wants to marry anew. He tries to have him live with a carpenter. Some haunting scenes, I gave it 7/10.
malius

Postby behzadtehrani » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:49 am

Color of paradise is a 10/10 in my view. A MUST SEE!
behzadtehrani

Postby auteur » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:00 pm

Jancso is asking about SOKHOUT, the 1998 release from the great Iraninan writer/director Mohsen Makhmalbaf, who's won a ton of awards worldwide. SOKHOUT is about the experiences of a blind boy who works as a string instrument tuner. Typical of Makhmalbaf cinema, the film is visually interesting throughout, but will bore those who go to films to be shuttled from one plot twist to another. I like it a lot but prefer the similarly titled A MOMENT OF SILENCE. By the way, Mohsen's daughter Samira has turned out to be just as talented as dad. Check out her Cannes-awarded AT 5 IN THE AFTERNOON, BLACKBOARDS and THE APPLE.
auteur

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:12 pm

"The Apple" is a magnificent achievement from a 17 yo.girl at any time,learning about Iranian Patriachal society not so different from our own at times.
gratefultiger

Return to Film Talk