Activists boycott Almodovar

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Activists boycott Almodovar

Postby thegreatken1 » Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:55 am

A group of British animal rights activists (probably PETA) are boycotting Pedro Almodovar's latest film "Hable Con Ella (Talk To Her)" because of the bullfighting scenes. When the movie opens in British cinemas, the activists give out propaganda of why "Hable Con Ella" is unethical. This is way too far because I don't know why whould there be a protest against something that's been culturally link to Spain for centuries.
thegreatken1

Re: Activists boycott Almodovar

Postby gimferrer » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:13 am

some people are thick that is what I have to say and those need to get alive!
gimferrer

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:18 am

I have heard from people who are "in the know" that "Talk to Her" is a brilliant film, Almodovar's best. Maybe if they got off their high horse to sit in a theater seat they may understand the situation in context and understand that art is art for art's sake, nothing extends beyond the screen except for images. I don't think an entire film crew could hurt animals since you need to have people on set all the time when using animals in films.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby gimferrer » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:15 pm

exatly! Talk To Her is a brilliant film from a good filmaker and those comments are just not on. I think the gore scene and another bit are the only time Almodovar has used CGI. Like Amores Perros with the dog fight, maybe this film was actually polemic as well...bah!

Nonsense!
gimferrer

Return to Film Talk