need help determining WHO watches 'foreign' and indie films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

need help determining WHO watches 'foreign' and indie films

Postby dean » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:14 am

Hello all.

I'm hoping to open a new video store. I'm very excited about offering world and indie DVDs, but I need help determining who the audience for these films is (other than myself of course). I'd be grateful to those of you willing to help me out by taking a survey I've prepared. You can get to it by following this link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=40125135887

If anyone knows of other resources where I could learn WHO rents/watches foreign and indie films, please, please, please...let me know.

Please forgive me if this is considered spam; I'm simply looking for help.

Thanks!
dean

Re: need help determining WHO watches 'foreign' and indie films

Postby kmcalma » Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:01 pm

It really depends on where you are. If youre in a metropolitan area you have a much better chance of finding that audience. However if you live in a small Texas suburb like I do, good luck. I asked a clerk in a large local video chain what her customers had said of AMELIE and she quickly replied, 'my customers dont watch subtitled films.'
kmcalma

Postby dean » Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:34 am

Ouch.

Fortunately, I live in a rather metropolitan area (which I insist is on the East Coast even though it's nowhere near the "coast." We have two impressive institutions of higher learning within a couple miles of my proposed location, as well as another small school dedicated to film. Obviously, these are to my favor. Nonetheless, I have been unable to find any demographics or psychographics for this specific segment of the home entertainment industry. And, the money people expect I should know.

My frequent visits to local video stores over the years has given me some insight into who the audience is; however, the majority of my friends, sadly, are not into 'foreign' films.

BTW - I thought Texas was land of the independent movie! Home of Robert Rodriguez...producer of Spanish-language films (and an excellent book!)...UT Austin...quality film school...

Oh well...thanks for writing!
d
dean

Postby javajunkie75 » Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:19 am

dean,

I hope that you can franchise your video store. I live about 30 min. from Boston. Film wise, that is a world away. I'm one of these "fortunate" individuals who go to see "those kind of movies". The video stores that are around have copies of foreign films, but not nearly enough to satisfy film junkies & you have to be careful not to pick up a video that has been "dubbed".

Ciao.

java
javajunkie75

Postby thegreatken1 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:12 pm

I watch both.
thegreatken1

Postby admin-2 » Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:34 pm

That's a difficult question. I've worked in a "specialty" video store in Toronto, Canada for 17 years (the last 4 as manager). I don't think there is any "type" of person that watches foreign and indie films. I didn't think I would like "serious" films when I was a kid (I had seen over a hundred horror films before I was 11), but when I stumbled on CITIZEN KANE on television one Saturday night, I was transformed! I recently hired a 17 year old young man. I asked him, out of the blue, "So what was your epiphany?". He didn't even bat an eye, or ask me to explain myself, he just blurted out, "Definitely...2001: A Space Odyssey, when I was 12!" I guess what I'm saying is, you can't really market the type of store you're talking about. Save on the advertising money, put it into your rental library and...don't worry. If your product is "good" the customer's will find you.
admin-2

Postby Bacchus33 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:14 pm

The difference between those who watch 'subtitled films' and those who don't is often between those who think and those who don't.
Bacchus33

Postby Gaz » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:33 pm

That's certainly a nice soundbite, but does anyone really believe that. I am perfectly happy to watch foreign films with subtitles, but I am sure some very intelligent people are turned off by them.

More fool them I say, but a passion for foreign films is no indication of intellect.
Gaz

Postby stof_ » Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:57 am

admin-2, where is your specialty video store? I live in Etobikoe (right by Humber College) and a store like yours sounds well worth making the trip too.

P.S. do you have any copies of Rock and Rule or Don Mckellar's Last Night?
stof_

Postby Bacchus33 » Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:17 pm

I was only joking. I think it is irrelevant, although you can find a good key to someone's personality in the books they read, the films they watch and the music they listen to etc.
Bacchus33

Return to Film Talk