Oscar contenders

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Oscar contenders

Postby ygie » Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:40 pm

Which foreign films should be nominated for this year's Oscar's?
Every year overrated films such as "Life is Beautiful"
"Crouching Tiger" and "Amelie" have won the Oscar. Not that it matters to many of you, but what would be your 4 nominees?
ygie

Re: Oscar contenders

Postby bjornam » Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:43 pm

Y Tu Mama Tamibien will win, probably. My choice is Godards In Praise of Love. But when I think of it, those were made last year, no? Russki Covcheg then. Or Ten. It's about time Iran wins this. I don't know wether they have won before, I'm not that concerned with the Oscars.
bjornam

Postby john-5 » Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:03 pm

Yes, an Iranian win is long overdue. Unfortunately, it seems most American Academy voters can't see beyond their own ludicrous political prejudices. Can't have a loony Arab state win now can we? And yes the Oscars are hardly a guarantee of quality; in fact more of mediocrity- the Foreign Film category choices (winners and nominees) have been, if anything, an even worse display of judgment than the general Best Film Oscars, which is saying something.

By the way, Amelie lost out to No Man's Land for best Foreign Film.
john-5

Postby gimferrer » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:09 pm

Los Lunes al sol will be the spanish film compiting for the oscars this years has been anounced and has beaten 'Talk To Her' (what a shame although I vote for Los Lunes Al Sol') both are equally great in their own right.
gimferrer

Postby katsuben » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:10 pm

Jia Zhangke's UNKNOWN PLEASURES or Park Kiyong's CAMEL(S).
katsuben

Return to Film Talk