I'm sure this one has been asked before...

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

I'm sure this one has been asked before...

Postby Curt46n2 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:21 am

I know somebody had to have asked this at one point, but I'm going to ask it again. What was the first foreign film that you ever watched? I'm talking about the first one that made you decide to see more foreign films. I watched a lot of French movies in high school French class, but none of them inspired me to delve deep into the seething underworld of foreign film gangsters.

The first one that I saw that made me think "Hey, I need to see more of these! They don't make movies like this in America!" was one I saw just a month or two ago. I saw The Hidden Fortress (Kurosawa) and was completely astonished. Toshiro Mifune's excellent performance broke through the language barrier, as it did in the second one I watched, "Seven Samurai." Then I saw "City of Lost Children." That was the movie that made me realize that I was missing out on (literally) a WORLD of great cinema.
Curt46n2

Re: I'm sure this one has been asked before...

Postby winstonwes » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:52 am

Cinema Paradiso.... I think I watched another two or three foreign films within a week.
winstonwes

Postby Gaz » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:23 am

Malle's Le Souffle au Coeur was the one that got me hooked, when I was 13. Since then I've never looked back
Gaz

Postby aviv71 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:37 am

Cinema Paradiso...after seeing it I thought it was one of the most complete films I have ever seen. I loved that foreign films were so less predictable than hollywood.
aviv71

Postby gimferrer » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:07 pm

I can't remember , as I am spanish I saw many of them so it doesn't cpunt and I don't count american film either.

I think it was 'Mon Oncle' by Jacques Tati and 'Les Vanaces du Monsieur Hulot' as a child. As a teenager 'Querelle' by Fassbinder which put me off of Fassbinder as you can imagine, and 'Fitzcarraldo' by Herzog, also Maria Braun and 'The Iron Tin' by Sholondorf.
gimferrer

Postby somegreatmovies » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:20 pm

on video, either Cyrano de Bergerac or Cinema Paradiso... in the theater, Mother and Son
somegreatmovies

Postby admin-2 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:40 pm

I love this one!

I grew up in a small town in North Ontario in Canada. We had a video chain that used to send films to the store in my town that weren't renting in some of the bigger towns around the area. I loved horror films so I always went to the horror section first. There was a box with a clock on it, shaded in the deepest red I have ever seen. The back of the box talked about "ghosts" and "haunting". So, I rented it. I brought it home...It was one of the most horrifying films I have ever seen...but it wasn't a horror movie! It was Ingmar Bergman's CRIES AND WHISPERS...I loved it! It was "difficult", but so emotionally rich. I couldn't believe that films could actually be about something like...well, frankly...human emotions! I have been in love with "foreign film" ever since!
admin-2

Postby wvq » Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:55 pm

Honestly, I can't remember what the very first foreign film I saw was; however, I can remember the first that really moved me: Rules of the Game. I had seen a few foreign films before that--including some, like M, that I now love passionately--but they hadn't affected me much, primarily because I didn't understand them. (Of course, I didn't wholly understand Rules of the Game then either--and I'm sure I don't now either.)

I'd also like to note, while admitting that I know nothing about acting, that I find Renoir's own turn in this film to be one of the most charming in the whole of the cinema.
wvq

Postby ygie » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:18 pm

Cinema Paradiso
ygie

Postby admin-2 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:20 pm

HERE HERE!

The man is a god! The scene where he tries to cheer up Christine by talking about her father and their times in Salzburg, is bravura acting. When he suddenly realises what a failure he has become and slumps down on the steps...AHH...my heart broke!
admin-2

Return to Film Talk