Do you think this is Scorsese's year?...

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Do you think this is Scorsese's year?...

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:55 am

Am I the only person extremely outraged and appalled that Scorsese has never won an Oscar for Best Director OR Best Picture. Besides "Raging Bull" losing the Best Picture and Best Director Oscars in 1980 to "Ordinary People", Scorsese made the best American film of the 70's (Taxi Driver), 80's (Raging Bull) and 90's (Goodfellas). My two questions: Is there a conspiracy of sorts that had prevented the Greatest Living American Director from receiving at LEAST the 3 Oscars he deserved, and do you think he will finally win this year?
bigpoppa_2059

Re: Do you think this is Scorsese's year?...

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:30 pm

in a word YES as he deserves it after a long distinguished career,he should be finally recognised,but the oscar's are not the be all & end all.still he should salute this year.
gratefultiger

Postby anoop_raw » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:54 pm

I do feel that it has been really unfair that the academy never gave an oscar to Scorsese. Infact I am appalled that they gave an oscar to Kevin Costner for directing 'Dances with Wolves' but overlooked Scorsese's 'Goodfellas'. The Academy often likes to pat itself on its back for 'correcting the wrong' (like giving the oscar for training day to denzel washington when he deserved it more for the hurricane the previous year) they will definitely give the oscar to Scorsese. However that does not make me happy. I think Gangs of New York does not deserve a best director oscar. there are much better nominees in that category this year. but then academy has its own politics and they will hand the oscar to scorsese this year.
anoop_raw

Postby Europa » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:38 pm

Winning an Oscar these days, just means you've hit the heights of mediocrity.
Shouldn't imagine Scorsese's that bothered now...
Europa

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:40 am

I agree that Scorsese doesen't really need an Oscar to prove himself or to be recognized for his work, since he is already generally considered by most filmgoers to be our greatest living filmmaker. But still...the man deserves one dammit!
bigpoppa_2059

Postby saseen » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:20 pm

I remember this famous quote made in an awadr ceremony. "Awards are like hemmorrhoid, every bum gets one sooner or later". But in the case of Scorsese it's different. He is a living genius. That's why they ignored him so long. Do I need to say more?
saseen

Postby javajunkie75 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:24 pm

Let's hope that this year will be the year for Mr. Scorsese. He is very much over due.

Ciao.

java
javajunkie75

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:03 pm

Rob Marshall won at the DGA awards for Chicago over Scorsese for GONY. Usually this predicts who will win the Oscar, so the odds are that Scorsese may not in fact win.
bigpoppa_2059

Return to Film Talk