Current Spanish Cinema

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Current Spanish Cinema

Postby eman » Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:52 pm

Aside from the book "Contemporary Spanish Cinema" by Barry Jordan, which is informative enough, comprehensive enough, but as stiff and colorless as a board, does anyone know of any good survey resource (book or website)?

I think that Spain has been producing the most provoking movies since the late 1980s, thanks to Almodovar, Aragon, Saura, Trueba and now Amenabar, Guillermo de Toro, Mateo Gil. Saw "Nadie Conoce Nadie" last week with the ubiquitous (but excellent) Eduardo Noriega and was mesmerized by how well it evoked the spirit and heat of Semana Santa. Even the fluff genre (see "Cha Cha Cha") becomes interesting in the hands of Spanish filmmakers. I have just ordered "Intacto," "La Comunidad," "En La Ciudad Sin Limites," "Entre Las Piernas," "Beso Para Todos," and "El Embrujo de Shanghai." If any of these movies deserve being sought after, I'll let the board know.

In the meantime, some fairly new ones that are highly recommended (on DVD): Nadie Conoce Nadie, El Espinazo del Diablo (Devil's Backbone), Tesis, Segunda Piel, Juana La Loca (Mad Love), Sin Noticias de Dios, La Buena Estrella, La Lengua delas Mariposas, Lucia y el Sexo, Visionarios, Abre Los Ojos.
eman

Re: Current Spanish Cinema

Postby paredes » Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:25 pm

Are you talking Spanish cinema or Latin cinema? Because as far as I know Guillermo Del Toro is Mexican. Otherwise, I agree with everything you say! Spanish-Language cinema rules!
paredes

Return to Film Talk