women filmmakers

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

women filmmakers

Postby somegreatmovies » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:48 pm

I don't think there are currently any female filmmakers that I could consider “great directors” (or whatever kind of silly distinction one would make)... I guess a case could be made for Duras, Menken, Deren, Von Trotta, Lupino, Rainer, Akerman, Benning, maybe even Elaine May in the one-shot category (for Mikey and Nicky)... and Lyne Ramsey and Claire Denis are two of the greatest filmmaker’s working today, but I can’t think of any other female filmmakers that might be nearing that “great director” cannon (for being deeply influential or whatever kind of criteria you’d judge that with)... any thoughts?
somegreatmovies

Re: women filmmakers

Postby bmxsuperhero » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:23 am

I'd add Jane Campion to the list.
bmxsuperhero

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:41 am

Have you seen Ramsey's latest "Morvern Callar"? It's a masterpiece. See it if you can.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby Arletty » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:53 pm

Gillian Armstrong
Jane Campion
Jocelyn Moorehouse
Samantha Lang

have all directed high quality films.
Arletty

Postby pre-tender » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:56 am

i dont even know if there is so many female director but Jane Campion is great: The Piano is in my TOP 10 list...
i would appreactie "the woman hand" in cinema and hope to see more film by female flim-makers...
pre-tender

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:47 pm

Leni Riefenstahl a woman with a lot to be proud of (Joking Of Course ) mind you she has just made a new film in 2002 and considering she must be 100 surely by now,Big Achievment.... Don`t Forget Sally Potter
HASSELBAINK007

Postby gimferrer » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:37 am

One woman to consider is Isabel Coixet , she has done a few films but her latest movie MY MILE WITHOUT ME (produced by El Deseo SA. - Almodovar brothers) it's meant to be oustanding, the film has as actors like;

Mark Ruffalo (You Can Count On Me), Sarah Polley, Deborah Harry, Leonor Watling (talk To Her) and Maria De Mederios among them.

Agnès Varda; (writing credits in The Lat Tango In Paris along with Bertolucci) and Vagabont, she has an extenssive career as a writer, director adn actress.

Pilar Miro; Which her film never left Spain therefore is unlikely her film will be seen.

Samira Makhmalbaf; "Blackboards", "The Apple". Born in Tehran in 1979, Samira is the daughter of Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf

gimferrer

Postby szindbad » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:57 am

The best and most famous is Agnieszka Holland.Hungary has a lof of talented women directors: Márta Mészáros, Ildikó Enyedi, Judit Elek, Ibolya Fekete are well-known in Europe. And what about Vera Chytilová?
szindbad

Postby somegreatmovies » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:41 pm

This general discussion of women filmmakers is great, but I was originally asking about is whether any women have yet entered that Canon of ‘great filmmakers,’ either personally for you or, in your opinion, the general film world. Within experimental film, Maya Deren was one of the first, male or female. Whereas in narrative filmmaking, I think only Akerman and Campion may qualify. By the way, what I mean by ‘canon of great filmmakers,’ is probably an Andrew Sarris-like listing of filmmakers who are so deeply important, that a discussion of film and film history is incomplete without them (from Ozu & Hitch & to Altman & Rivette, ect. ect. ect.)
somegreatmovies

Postby darkbluex » Mon Apr 07, 2003 6:16 am

Hey don't forget Babs! Yes director of "The Prince of Tides" and "The Mirror Has two Faces" proves that woman directors can be as arrogant, egotistical and self-delusional just like male directors.
darkbluex

Next

Return to Film Talk