women filmmakers

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: women filmmakers

Postby john-5 » Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:25 pm

Agnes Varda had most votes in the poll of top 5 films by women conducted by Senses of Cinema (excellent online magazine). Unfortunately it does seem the case that few- if any- female directors have to their credit more than a couple of films generally deemed great.

Perhaps if a poll were to be made of favourite films of international female critics, more women would come to the fore.

The extraordinary, precocious Samira Makhmalbaf seems best placed to build a huge reputation. Iran has had a high percentage of top females; also her aunt/step-mother Marziyeh Meshkini, the poet Forough Farrokzhad, and Rakhshan Bani-Etemad. Perhaps India's Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding) can continue to develop.

I especially like:

Madchen in Uniform (Sagan), The Ascent (Shepitko), The Silences of the Palace (Tlatli).

The Bulgarian film The Attached Balloon, directed by Binka Zheliazkova, is- in my imagination- the most fascinating and wonderful film ever made, (after Sansho the Bailiff, of course).

Postby dianem » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:32 pm

Lina Wertmuller made 3 classics:
Seven Beauties
Swept Away
The Seduction of Mimi
all three starring Giancarlo Giannini, two featuring Mariangela Melato.

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:01 pm

Lynne Ramsey has only made 3 films, but she is becoming a major figure in cinema and I cannot wait to see her next project. The most important & talented woman IMO is Claire Denis. She is brilliant in every sense of the word. Beau Travail is one of the best films of the past 15 years.

Return to Film Talk