Why I don't like Antonioni...

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Why I don't like Antonioni...

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:14 pm

First, for his lack of humor. He is so terribly solemn, so pompous. He projects himself as the image of the "psychologist of the feminine soul". He stands high on his podium and states "Women of the world, I have understood you", when in fact his films show complete lack of any realistic or poetic qualites of a filmmaker who knows how to portray or explore women on screen. "L'Avventura" is interesting, but again drags from Antonioni's modish display of the "lack of communication"
in the film.
bigpoppa_2059

Re: Why I don't like Antonioni...

Postby Gaz » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:44 pm

I'm the first to admit my ignorance of Italian films. The only Antonioni film I know is L'Avventura, which I found frankly dull. I think what irritated me was that a film with so little plot could last 2 and a half hours. More goes on in Truffaut's Les Mistons.

The photography was stylish, but the pace was so slow I could hardly stay awake to appreciate it. Perhaps I was disappointed because Lea Massari disappeared after 20 mins, as I am a fan of hers, but that was by no means the only thing I disliked.

I'm at a loss to describe why this slow-paced but beautifully-filmed Italian film turns me off, but Death in Venice does the exact opposite. Perhaps there is more at the heart of Visconti's film.

But each to his own, live and let live etc.
Gaz

Re: Why I don't like Antonioni...

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:50 pm

I'm sure people say to you "What! You don't like Antonioni films?...well than you just don't know how to appreciate foreign films!" Which is what people have told me, but it's not his slow, deliberate pace that upsets me (I like Tarkovsky, Angelopoulos, Tarr) but the content and his highly formal yet asetic style.
Finally someone who agrees with me!
bigpoppa_2059

Return to Film Talk