Musical movie of all times

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Musical movie of all times

Postby oomingakus » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:15 am

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is outstanding... If we're allowed to include non-foreign films, I also loved Dancer In The Dark-not your typical musical, but what a great film... However, I absolutely HATED Moulin Rouge-the WORST film I've seen in a long time, musical or otherwise. It's a shame too, since I really like Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor...
oomingakus

Postby HenryGinsberg » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:46 pm

Actually, Dancer in the Dark IS a foreign film. I think it was made in Finland(I'm not sure). But I don't really think of it as a Musical.
HenryGinsberg

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:13 am

Lars Von Trier would probably disagree with you.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby john-5 » Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:31 pm

Doesn't anyone else here cherish the wonderful Fred Astaire classics- Top Hat, The Band Wagon, Swing Time, Funny Face?

The Band Wagon, Singin in the Rain and the Indian film Pakeezah are the finest musical films! All 3 are splendid visually as well as musically.
john-5

Postby desy » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:06 pm

South Park: The Movie, in which the quality of the tunes can be taken for granted if you consider the subject matter. I also used to love The Nightmare Before Christmas - until I introduced my two year-old niece to it. . .
desy

Postby Gaz » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:59 pm

Astaire movies have great charm, but would not rate particularly high on my list, as other musicals have _better_ songs (my opinion) and were written as coherent works. Astaire musicals, and I may be wrong, used the best songs from otherwise unremarkable Broadway musicals.

As for the South Park movie, I can take it or leave it, though Uncle F*cka and It's Easy Mmmkay are notable masterpieces.
Gaz

Postby pour1up4me » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:46 pm

Check out "The Hole"(Dong). A great tribute to Grace Chang.
pour1up4me

Postby jessiemark1 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:17 am

I like The Wizard of Oz,maybe because its song Over the Rainbow,the song is really good .
jessiemark1

Postby kmcalma » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:04 pm

The Jungle Book!( Disney-Animated)
kmcalma

Postby zzzooom » Fri May 09, 2003 9:11 am

Little Shop of Horrors!
zzzooom

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk