Kiarostami is overrated!

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Kiarostami is overrated!

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:34 pm

Anyone else think that Abbas Kiarostami is the most overrated director of all time. His films are boring and long-winded (and yes I like Tarkovsky, Bela Tarr, etc.) so slow movies are fine with me. But his films have no point besides being well executed exercises in form. His new film "Ten" will no doubt be called a masterpiece and brilliant though it is neither of these. Kiarostami makes films for film critics and film theoriticians. Not regular people who want to see a good film.

Re: Kiarostami is overrated!

Postby bjornam » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:14 pm

I love his films, and they make great sense to me, even if I am not Iranian. The ending of Taste of Cherry is just brilliant. And come on, not moved by Close-Up in any way?

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:38 pm

kiarostami,makes spare films with great depth of meaning a truly great director with that wonderful humanist take on things. it's all there,if you look!

Postby auteur » Sat May 03, 2003 12:28 pm

Abbas Kiarostami engages in innovation by omission. He forces the viewer to participate in the completion of the film in several ways. In [i]The Taste of Cherry[/i]we don't know why the protagonist wants to attempt suicide or if he succeeds. Then Kiarostami adds an epilogue that forces one to reconsider the whole film yet again. His is a participatory cinema. He is also quite interested in gray areas where fiction and documentary cinema meet uneasily. For instance, [i]Through the Olive Trees[/i] increasingly becomes a film about two of the actors hired to appear in the film and their class differences.
Mr. Kiarostami invites controversy with his experimental, open-ended filmmaking and somewhat outrageous statements such as: "I don't like to arouse the viewer. I don't like when filmmakers take the viewer hostage. I prefer films that put the audience to sleep in the theatre. It's kind of a film to allow you a nice nap" and "Censorship doesn't affect my work". His work generates lively discussion.

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon May 12, 2003 2:45 am

Well I will say this. There is always a true humanistic feeling underneath all the "action" in the films. He is also an Iranian director making films aout subjects that are completely taboo in his home country. And nobody shoots film in a car like he does. But there are Iranian directors such as Tahmineh Milani & Jafar Panahi are way more interesting who make films that are just as poignant and artistic.

Return to Film Talk