Ringu v.s. The ring

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Ringu v.s. The ring

Postby tumadretumadre » Sun May 04, 2003 11:56 pm

1) Slow build ups and lots of suspense.
2) Lovely dark atmospheres.
3) Its all so mysterious and vague that it sucks you in inmedatly.
4) Sadako is the scariest bitch Ive ever seen.

1) It relies too much on Gloom o vision... 50% of the time I was raising the brightness level.
2) You kinda realize the suspense is going nowhere.
3) The ring curse does nothing to you untill you die, exept for the photo altering.

The ring (american remake)
1) The ring video is much more frightening and intense.
2) The curse is more realistic and dangerous, with nose bleeds, halucinations, nightmares, obsessive compulsive behavior patterns and the inability to play with horsies.
3) The horse angle, institution angle and paternal abuse angle rocked pretty hard.
4) "Every one will suffer" + "You wherent suposed to help her"

1) Did Samara make her video in conjunction with Trent Reznor? The hell?
2) Samara is scary, but not as scary as Sadistic Sadako.
3) Its an american Remake! Its not loyal! We are all suposed to hate american remakes of stuff! (although Ringu is technically a remake of the T.V. miniseries and a poor adaption of the novel).

All in all I think The ring wins this one... both movies where made with lots of love, but The ring (american) even without the special effects would of freaked me out more due to the scenes with her scribbling circles and hair on pictures.

Re: Ringu v.s. The ring

Postby bootsie32000 » Tue May 20, 2003 2:55 pm

Is Ringu intelligent?

The Ring was a very well made film, beautiful and scary, but the script was idiotic. It was such a waste of very good talent.

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Tue May 20, 2003 4:42 pm

This was one of the very rare cases in which the American remake WAY surpassed the original. First of all, Naomi Watts is hot. Second, Naomi Watts is hot. Third, the American remake has a much better screenplay and seems (to me) much scarier.

Postby bootsie32000 » Wed May 21, 2003 2:54 pm

The N. American version used the horror genre established by Kubrick in The Shining, realist domestic horror, and celebrated all Kubrick tried to expose, infanticide, child abuse etc.

As dumb as dumb gets.

As to an actor being hot, well, I think other criteria might come first. As horror, it could have been a classic,but only films with intellectual/artistic value last.

Interestingly enough, really low budget, ugly films tend to be much more intelligent. I still say, a huge waste of talent. I get the feeling the original was going to be good and tehn a committee chopped it up.

Postby asia_bebe » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:40 pm

i Like THE RING better because it's scares me more ringu it was aite it's wasen't all that scarey but, the american version is way scarey!

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:50 pm

Wanna see a really good Japanese horror movie before the American remake ruins its legacy? see the Kang Brothers' "The Eye", which Tom Cruise (and his production company) are currently in the process of finding a screenwriter to make (a.k.a. ruin) a Hollywood remake.

Postby ksparent » Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:07 pm

Why does the Korean remake get lost in these discussions? It's a good movie but it seems like Americans aren't even aware of it.

Postby Ria » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:51 pm

I find it very hard to judge a remake when I’ve seen the original. The original often fill in bits of story, which a remake misses. The remake often has more money and therefore has better effects.

What I can say it that by the time I saw “Ringu” it had been hyped up so much that it was about as scary as an angry kitten.

By the time “The Ring” came out I knew what to expect and I felt they did a better job.

I must add that I saw “Dark Water” before anyone could tell me about it and I really liked it. Perhaps I would have felt the same about Ringu if I’d seen it earlier.

If you want to see a creepy horror, watch “The Eye”. I agree that please watch it before Tom ruins it.

Return to Film Talk