Almodovar's Live Flesh

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Almodovar's Live Flesh

Postby groom_daniel » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:15 pm

I watched Pedro Almodovar's Live Flesh last night.

It's absolutely brilliant. I clapped many times in my living room, and applauded it for its brilliance. How can someone be so thoroughly clever! It's remarkable. Its flow took me with it, and I felt completely happy while watching it. I don't want to give any of the plot away, because it's endlessly inventive. It's based on a Ruth Rendell novel, Live Flesh, but it feels like more of a meditation on the subject or theme of the novel, since it has Almodovar's trademark style all over it. Suffice to say, if you liked Talk To Her and All About My Mother, you should like this too. It's part of Almodovar's so-called, "mature phase," and more proof that Almodovar may be the greatest living, working, filmmaker.
groom_daniel

Re: Almodovar's Live Flesh

Postby gnixon29 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:57 pm

I agree...I'd put it right up there with Hable Con Ella. I love his style.
gnixon29

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:15 am

I love Almodovar but Live Flesh just didn't do it for me. But it is WAY better than Flower of my Secret, which I hated and is by far my least fav Almodovar pic. I do not think he is the most important director making films today (that would be either Wong Kar-Wei or Godard) but he is certainly good. I really do not enjoy his earlier films (except for Woman on the Verge) but All about my Mother & Talk to Her were masterpieces. IMHO of course.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby groom_daniel » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:22 am

I was probably over-excited when I said Almodovar is the greatest working filmmaker. I still think Live Flesh is a brilliant film, so he's undoubtedly my favourite at the moment. I don't see how Wong Kar Wai is any more important, though, like Almodovar and Takeshi Kitano, he's a stylist. As for Godard, has he really been an important filmmaker since the 60's? His film theory seems more important these days, but there's been a real move away from auteur theory in recent times.

Abbas Kiarostami seems to be the most important filmmaker at the moment.
groom_daniel

Return to Film Talk