I need the name of this japanese film

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

I need the name of this japanese film

Postby manicmo » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:03 pm

This was a contemporary Japanese film. It begins with two siblings, boy and younger age girl, going off to school on a bus, waving goodbye to the mother. That is the last time they see her. The bus gets hijacked. The children survive and are found living alone in their home ( I cannot recall why the parents are not there) The bus driver also survived and hunts them down. He finds them living in squalor. He moves in, looks after them and sometime after takes them on a long bus ride through a countryside, a remote area in Japan,to finally arrive at the seaside. Along the way the boy has given himself up to a police station for something he did. My memory is dim in parts but the movie has haunted me for years since I saw it. Does anyone recognize this?
manicmo

Re: I need the name of this japanese film

Postby auteur » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:59 pm

Shinji Aoyama's EUREKA is simply one of the best films I have seen in the past few years. The film was released in 2000 in Japan but too few have seen it in North America. I think that the almost 4 hour running time scared distributors. I decided to buy the import DVD because I know I'll want to watch it several times in the future.
auteur

Postby manicmo » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:14 pm

WOW! Thank you so much!! I agree it was a stunning film. Now where do you go to find it? Definately worth importing but from where? Any ideas?
manicmo

Postby kcpuden1 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:27 pm

You can get the film from HKFlix.com, which is where I got mine. There are numerous other places : Amazon.co.uk and MachiavelDVD.com to name a couple. Note, to my knowledge, currently PAL format only. Agreed, this is simply a great movie. One of the better recent movies I have seen.
kcpuden1

Postby auteur » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:55 pm

There is a widescreen NTSC version that's always available on ebay for $16 to $22 including shipping to the US. You can choose English OR Mandarin OR no subtitles. There are two copies from different sellers available right now. The image quality is excellent.
auteur

Postby manicmo » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:58 pm

Done. I'm so grateful to you both.
manicmo

Return to Film Talk