Whale Rider

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Whale Rider

Postby groom_daniel » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:32 am

I was wondering what people thought of Whale Rider, or New Zealand films in general, since that's where I'm from.
groom_daniel

Re: Whale Rider

Postby pre-tender » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:37 am

Hello, i have not seen Whale Rider yet but to talk about one film; The Piano by jane Campion, it was great and it is on the second position n my top20 list, after seeing it i decided to see not only more Campion films but also more New Zealend films.
Also landscapes in The Piano was so great that i decided to see New Zealand as a tourist but i need few yers to be able to afferd a trip to there :) , even one night i dreamed Nez Zealand's shores :) in my dream...
Keep making good films and keep those beauties clean...!
pre-tender

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:55 pm

Hello Tuncay try the Kiwi (NZ) films,"the navigator"(a film of time Travel& Spirituality) & "UTU" a study of the maori in colonial times,the powerful "once were warriors" maori in modern society. 3 gems i hope u come to love..cheers chas
gratefultiger

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:12 pm

I've seen Whale Rider twice and I'm taking my mother to see it this weekend with me. The climactic scene with the whales swimming thru the water with the girl on its back is transcendent.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby jasjesbe » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:40 pm

Vincent Ward's [b]Navigator[/b] was an extraordinary film, and I've been waiting a long, long time for a DVD edition that can do justice to its quality.

Something, let's say, like Criterion's job on [b]Walkabout[/b], Nicolas Roeg's australian masterpiece.
jasjesbe

Return to Film Talk