Film Fest coming up, need recommendations

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Film Fest coming up, need recommendations

Postby shopgal » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:16 am

There's a Foreign Film Fest coming up and they are offering the following (mainly french, I think). I can't possibily watch all so kinda hope some of you can recommend:

1) The Spanish Apartment
2) Fan Fan La Tulipe
3) La Papillion
4) Belleville rendezvous
5) Bon Voyage
6) Love me if you dare (Jeux d'enfants)
7) Last Life in the Universe
8) Goodbye Lenin!
9) Wir
shopgal

Re: Film Fest coming up, need recommendations

Postby Mik » Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:17 am

I recommend you "Goodbye, Lenin!" It's lyrical, kind film. And director's work is rather interesring. So, I was impressed by this film. It's worth seeing.
Mik

Postby lionelz » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:36 pm

What I know about some of these movies:

1) The Spanish Apartment

If I am not wrong, that is probably Cedric Klapisch's "L'auberge espagnole". The movie is about a young French guy (played by Romain Duris), studying in Barcelona for 1 year with foreign students from other european countries. The expression "auberge espagnole" describes a dinner where everybody brings his own plate. Indeed, each one of these 7 students will bring its own experience to make....a funny and touching movie! One of 2002 hit movies in France.

2) Fan Fan La Tulipe
This movie was made to be a blockbuster: Luc Besson produces a remake of a 1951 movie, now with Vincent Perez and Penelope Cruz (who speaks french during the movie!).From the director of Taxi 2 and Taxi 3(!). The movie seems to have been made for (dumb?) kids between 9 and 13.

3) Le Papillion
An old man's life is changed by a little girl during his trip to find a scarce butterfly. I haven't seen it.

4) Belleville rendezvous

One of the most expected movies of 2003 because Sylvain Chomet's latest animation movie (The Old lady and the pigeons) was nominated at the Oscars. There is a nice website in english ( http://www.bellevillerendezvous.com/ ). The "story" section will help you to get an idea of this film.

5) Bon Voyage
The movie has a great cast (Gerard Depardieu, Isabelle Adjani, Virginie Ledoyen) but was a flop. In 1940, a young studend has to choose between a famous actress and a student, politics or deliquency, his past life or his new one...It's not a bad movie. It's just entertaining.

6) Love me if you dare (Jeux d'enfants)
You can avoid this one! The director wanted to make a new "Amelie"...The story of a girl and a boy who are meant to be together.

8) Goodbye Lenin!

A huge success in Germany and in France. The other message of this board seems to reflect the opinion of many viewers. I just found that is a nice way to discover German's life during the end of 1989 and the beginning of the 90's

I did my best to express myself in English. I hope it will be clear...
lionelz

Postby shopgal » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:35 pm

Wow! Thanks to the both of u!
Esp to LionelZ: it was v v kind of u to take the effort to go down the list and gave gd summeries of each, esp the bit abt what the expression "auberge espagnole" meant. No worries, your English is good.
Think I'll catch The Spanish Apartment, Goodbye Lenin and La Papillion.
Thanks once again :)...
shopgal

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:12 am

My friend who attended the Cannes Film Festival told me that Fanfan la Tulipe is an embarrasement. All the critics & viewers walked out quiet as churchgoers because the word is that it's just really stupid and pointless. I loved "L'Auberge Espagnole" a lot (great soundtrack too) so if you absoultely had to choose 1, I'd go with that.
bigpoppa_2059

Return to Film Talk