Tokyo Story

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Tokyo Story

Postby john-5 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:55 am

O.K. Well, over the last 2 years i've said something about almost all my favourites, but i think it's the turn of Tokyo Story. Its plot is simple. An elderly couple living in the provinces go to visit their adult children in the capital but find only their widowed daughter-in-law, the lovely Setsuko Hara, has time and genuine concern for them. It's a superbly acted, quiet gentle film, full of generosity, wisdom, warmth, compassion, integrity and insights into family and generational relationships.
Its cinematic techniques are typically restrained, with Ozu's trademark still and low camera (about shoulder height to someone seated on the floor), even editing rhythms, and carefully controlled shots that give meaning to simple objects, the local environment and a sense of space off-screen.

It's ultimately extremely touching and beautiful and is one of the most admired masterpieces in world cinema, voted in the all-time top 10 in several major international polls, including Sight and Sound. I know many regulars here are well familiar with its qualities, but i hope anyone who's not seen it (and whose interests go well beyond the latest helter-skelter violent action movies) will give it a go.
john-5

Re: Tokyo Story

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:49 am

What can i say a masterwork,along with "late spring" Ozu a true master.have you seen any of Naruse's films? Another film-maker of Zen like qualities,you won't get any argument from me concerning Ozu,and i do hope others check both directors out as it is a very rewarding experience.
gratefultiger

Postby ksparent » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:55 am

I would recommend a Korean movie named "Obaltan" or "The Aimless Bullet" to anyone who likes "Tokyo Story." Unfortunately, the only surviving print isn't in great shape and has burnt-in subtitles (ENglish, fortunaely), but the R3 DVD is selling for less than US$10 and is a great movie.
ksparent

Postby auteur » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:30 pm

I want to buy it, based solely on your recommendation, but the only one on ebay sells for $20 +s/h. Where did you buy yours?
auteur

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:06 am

Auteur hit mastersofcinema.org (one of the best of all film sites for us connoisseurs)then move to the Ozu site for all u need to know,you will be very impressed with this site i guarantee..cheers
gratefultiger

Return to Film Talk