Fassbinder's "Ali: Fear Eats the Soul"

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Fassbinder's "Ali: Fear Eats the Soul"

Postby saratw2 » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:05 pm

I have just finished watching Ali:Fear Eats the Soul. I am blown away.

The two leads were perfect. And the camera's long pauses with people framed within a doorway just adds to the loneliness.

I was a bit confused about Ali's health condition at the end and what it would mean for the relationship.

My first Fassbinder movie and I loved it even though it was painful at times. Especially the rejection of the characters.

saratw2

Re: Fassbinder's "Ali: Fear Eats the Soul"

Postby Gaz » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:12 pm

It was my first Fassbinder film too. A wonderful and moving piece of cinema, which still has perceptive things to say about our society and relationships.

It's so beautifully observed, the part when Emmi and Ali come back from holiday and everyone accepts them. You think that everything is going to be OK, but instead it shows up the weaknesses in their relationship. Thought-provoking stuff.

You have given me the impulse to watch it again - I'll dig my video out over Christmas.
Gaz

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:41 pm

Did u get the Criterion version yet? IMO it's one of the best packages they've done. Excellent booklet, special features, and a mindblowing digital transfer.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby saratw2 » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:38 pm

Yes, I rented the Criterian DVD from Netflix. But there was no commentary on it. However, the transfer was beautiful.
saratw2

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:33 pm

Based on Douglas Sirk's "All That Heaven Allows"
(Fassbinder was a huge Sirk fan as his plots, colours & compositions show & i think Fear Eats The Soul actually transcends the original film no mean feat.One of my all time favourites & to me Werner's best.
PS ali was the spurned lover of Fassbinder & i think suicided (that story would make a great film itself) but who to direct Ozon,Haneke,Noe?...cheers
gratefultiger

Postby Mr. West » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:46 pm

Actually, the actor who played Ali (I believe) ended up killing someone in some sort of a sordid homosexual love crime. He was thrown in prison, where he later hanged himself.

You may also be thinking of Fassbinder's later boyfriend, Armin Meier, who was jilted by Fassbinder and subsequently committed suicide. The film 'In a Year of 13 Moons' was Fassbinder's "existential" way of dealing with his grief and guilt after that incident.
Mr. West

Postby Mr. West » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:54 pm

Saratw2:

It's good to hear about someone discovering my favorite director. 'Fear Eats the Soul' is a great one.

You ought to check out 'The Merchant of Four Seasons' too. It was made shortly before 'Ali,' and it's very similar as a sad (but vaguely off-beat) character study. Also, I found the protagonist of 'Merchant' to be far more intriguing than the two lead characters in 'Ali.'
Mr. West

Postby saratw2 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:37 pm

Thanks, Mr. West.

I'll see if Netflix has the film you mentioned.

I really loved "Ali: Fear Eats the Soul." The woman in it was so unbelievably real. Like people I see everyday in the grocery store. Not beautiful. Not made up. But oh so real.
saratw2

Postby gratefultiger » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:05 am

Saratw2 there is a top doco "Fassbinders Women" which i have
it explains heaps about this marvellous film maker as like Bergman he was a great director of women,try & check it out.
gratefultiger

Postby Mr. West » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:14 pm

Gratefultiger:

Did you get that documentary off of eBay by any chance? As far as I know, it's not available commercially. Was the picture quality okay?

thanks,
Carl
Mr. West

Return to Film Talk