Subtitled Russian film: what was I watching?

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Subtitled Russian film: what was I watching?

Postby hathasam » Sun Sep 30, 2001 2:10 pm

I saw this on AMC the last week of September, and can't find the title. Bergmanesque film with a distraut woman downstairs and a sleeping boy upstairs. Someone was named Victor (the boy?) and there was much concern about waking the child. Though it was suggested that at least one person considered killing him. I thought the English translation of the title was one word, begining with a "C", but that hasn't helped me figure out what it is. The host of the movie channel said this was the director's first film after moving to the US. The film is in Russian, but every once in a while the distraut woman cries in English. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
hathasam

Re: Subtitled Russian film: what was I watching?

Postby jcaine » Fri Oct 19, 2001 2:00 am

are you sure it was AMC? TCM ran all of Andrei Tarkovsky's films in September. His first film outside the USSR was Nostalghia. It's in russian and italian.
Otherwise his short filmography: The Roller And The Violin, My Name Is Ivan,Andrei Rublev, Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker, Nostalghia, The Sacrifice.
jcaine

Re: Subtitled Russian film: what was I watching?

Postby hathasam » Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:57 pm

Oh, THANK YOU! It was "Sacrifice" though I got almost all the details wrong, including which channel it aired on. He did use Bergman's cinematoghrapher, so I did pick up something. You have put my mind at ease.
hathasam

Return to Questions