Barbet Schroeder

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Barbet Schroeder

Postby j-goldenberg1 » Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:52 am

Anyone out there a fan of Barbet Schroeder? I researched her name on Google and this was one of the first sites they gave me. I'm so excited to see her new film, Murder by Numbers. Although it's not a foreign film, any fans of hers interested in this one? I've heard really good buzz about it so far and I have always thought very highly of Sandra Bullock
j-goldenberg1

Re: Barbet Schroeder

Postby treschi » Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:16 am

I'm not totally sure, but isn't Barbet Schroeder a man? He did a film last year called "Our Lady of the Assassins" that I just watched. I guess I liked it, but it was too episodic and over-the-top, not to mention violent. But I suppose it was an accurate portrayal of life is modern Colombia.
treschi

Postby j-goldenberg1 » Fri Apr 05, 2002 3:13 pm

Whoops, didn't know that...like i said, I had just seen his work and liked it and so I wanted to know what else he had done, etc, and then i looked him up on google...sorry for that...anywayz, his new one is murder by numbers, which obviously doesn't seem like a foreign film...does he usually do foreign films? and if so, how do his american movies compare to those? anyone out there know? i'm really excited to see this movie but i'd like some background information first (haha, college kids can't waste money on EVERY movie)
j-goldenberg1

Postby jdcopp » Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:23 pm

I would say that comparing Scroeder's French work to his American work is apples and oranges. In France he would be most known as the producer of many of Eric Rohmer's early films as well as an actor in some of them. They would be wry romantic comedies. ( considered too talky by some ). Also he acted in two Jacques Rivette films Out One and Celine and Julie Go Boating. Scroeder's American work is light-years from this work- best characterized as neo-noir. It is interesting that Rohmer who could be considered Shroeder's mentor as he is much older than Shroeder who was only in his early 20s when he began to his career as a producer published one of the first studies of the films of Alfred Hitchcock ( co-written with Claude Chabrol ) in the mid 1950s.
jdcopp

Return to Questions