Russian WW2 / Bylorussia movie

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Russian WW2 / Bylorussia movie

Postby garyr » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:25 am

Russian movie, probably extremely famous but for the life of me cant remember what its called. Ok plot - Young boy growing up in Bylorussia during ww2. Experiences the German stormtroopers (in retreat from russia ?) raising his village to the ground, killing his family and decides to join the resistance, closing shot ( i think ) is of him in marshland with a rifle.
garyr

Re: Russian WW2 / Bylorussia movie

Postby malius » Thu Oct 03, 2002 5:04 pm

The movie is Andrei Tarkovsky's debut, "Ivan's Childhood".
malius

Postby wvq » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:30 am

Actually, this might be Klimov's "Come and See." Here's the test: if it was in black and white, then "Ivan's Childhood"; if it was in color, then "Come and See."
wvq

Postby garyr » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:34 am

Now you're asking, i watched this film when i was quite young, before colour televisions where popular in Scotland ( and no before you ask that wasn't just last year !), on a 14" b/w portable ! I remember it being a very emotive and moving film, dialogue was minimal but the last scene was the one that really stuck in my mind.
Just checked up on IMDB, it does sound like 'come and see', well worth the watch ! I didnt realise it was Bylorusk rather than Russian production, thanks for all the help with this everyone.
garyr

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:40 pm

the masterpiece you are refering to is klimov"s "COME & SEE"
what a great film and well worth seeing anytime!
gratefultiger

Postby malius » Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:55 pm

Guys, thanks for correcting me.
I have a substitute enquiry, then. There is another Sovjet era movie - set in the Caucasus I think - in which a statue (or the ghost?) of Stalin's lead henchman Berija somehow comes alive and walks around in a small town, terrifying everybody. (I thought this movie was Come and See!). What is the name of this movie?
malius

Return to Questions