Help with "Delicatessen" type film

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Help with "Delicatessen" type film

Postby alanterrill » Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:00 pm

I caught the middle part of a French film whilst in a hotel in Latvia. Subtitled in Latvian I've no idea of the characters names, but it was so like Delicatessen, that I thought all I'd need do was look up Jean-Pierre Jeunet and see what other films he'd done and I'd find it, but no!
So - in French, B&W (I think), very little dialogue -set in a big decaying house standing alone, the story revolved around a young man, craggy face, who seems to be the caretaker of the building. There is a woman housekeeper and the only inhabitant is an old blind man who seems to be very important, possibly a politician. He takes a swim every day in the buildings indoor swimming pool. The youn man runs a large machine in the basement which provides hot water and electricity to the building. Although bits of the ceiling are falling off, the boiler/engine is his pride and joy and in immaculate condition. At one point the girl steals something like a spark plug from the engine and the young man persues her across the land , finally swimming out to a boat to retrieve it. He rushes back and gets the engine going again, just in the nick of time before the blind man dives into an empty swimming pool. Very dark, strange, very Delicatessen (my favourite all time film apart from Amelie). Any suggestions?
alanterrill

Re: Help with "Delicatessen" type film

Postby Heimlich » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:19 pm

It's a german movie called Tuvalu.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0162023

It's also available on DVD.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=21764523465698&item_id=365393

Heimlich

Re: Help with "Delicatessen" type film

Postby alanterrill » Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:16 pm

Many thanks, Heimlich, that's much appreciated.
I shall try and get hold of it now - unfortunately, I'm in the UK and it only seems to be available in NTSC format (I don't have a DVD either!). Anyone know if its available on PAL format VHS?
alanterrill

Return to Questions